BSOD continues even after new HD and flashing the BIOS - Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• Started getting BSOD stop 0x0000007b on my son's two-year-old Dell 8400. 

Many sites pointed to bad HD, so I replaced it with a new one.  Re-installed Vista from the Dell discs - same BSOD. 

Even flashed the BIOS from version A03 to A09 (didn't figure that would help).  Didn't help. 

Also switched AHCI to ATA mode in BIOS; didn't help - same BSOD.

I'm desperate at this point - domestic tranquility has evaporated and shows no sign of returning until I fix this...

Thanks,
    Brad
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check has a value of 0x0000007B. This bug check indicates that the Microsoft Windows operating system has lost access to the system partition during startup.

Cause:

The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.

This error can also occur because of incompatible disk hardware. If the error occurred at the initial setup of the system, the system might have been installed on an unsupported disk or SCSI controller. Some controllers are supported only by drivers that are in the Windows Driver Library (WDL). (These drivers require the user to do a custom installation.)

Resolve the issue:

Remove any recently added hardware, especially hard disk drives or controllers, to see if the error is resolved. If the problematic hardware is a hard disk drive, the disk firmware version might be incompatible with your version of the Windows operating system. Contact the manufacturer for updates. If you removed another piece of hardware and the error is resolved, IRQ or I/O port conflicts likely exist. Reconfigure the new device according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Confirm that all hard disk drivers, hard disk controllers, and SCSI adapters are listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.

If you recently added a driver, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices. In the Advanced Options menu, select the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when you add only one driver or service at a time.

In addition, check your computer for viruses by using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the Master Boot Record of the hard disk. All Windows file systems can be infected by viruses.

This error can also occur because of hard disk corruption. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. You must restart the computer before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the computer because of the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r .

If you cannot start the system in the last known good configuration, you should try to start off the Windows CD. Then, you can run Chkdsk from the Repair Console.

Does this help?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 2:06 PM