none
OWA - Interesting error Excel works, Word partially and PowerPoint nearly completely dead. RRS feed

• Question

• Right, this one has me tearing my hair out a bit.

SharePoint 2013 SP1 farm, multiple WFE.

OWA farm, two servers. Load balancing is problematic so currently going through a host file entry pointing the load balanced FQDN (webapps.domain.com) to one of the servers (WebApps_Server1).

The servers have been built with logs and caches on the D drives but otherwise unremarkable settings.

• Excel Web Apps is working perfectly. I can create and edit documents in OWA and previews work perfectly.
    • Word is not so good. I can create and edit documents but I cannot 'view in browser' and previews (both list and search previews) fail with 'Sorry, Word Web App ran into a problem opening this document. To view this document please open it in Microsoft Word'
    • Powerpoint is a pain in the rear. I can create and save documents but cannot edit them or browse them in OWA, nor do the previews work.

Both servers are reporting as healthy, the hosting/discovery service is fine.

There are items in the security error log saying that the network service attempted to access a file at <loglocation>\<guid>\output.docx however the network service account should have full control on that location based on file access. In the ULS logs I get the occasional error message that ties up with the access issue.

From what I can see the issue is around the conversion process but i'm not sure what or how I can dig any further into it. Anyone got any ideas?

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:39 PM

Answers

• I rebuilt the OWA servers, based on Wictor's guide here: http://www.wictorwilen.se/Tags/Office%20Web%20Apps and got it working.

It works as long as the render cache location is on the C drive, it can be set to a non-standard location ("C:\OWA\RenderCache") but it cannot be moved onto another drive, at least in my environment. If you do then you get error messages in the ULS such as:

[AppServerHost.exe] Word failed to open the document (Error Code = 0x80030005)

[AppServerHost.exe] end opening file output.docx

You may also see Audit Failure messages (ID 4656) for Network Service in your server security logs identifying an object in the render cache location.

The Logs and 'Cache' can be on the D drive without any issues but the render cache doesn't like being moved.

Tested with OWA 2013 SP1 - Build number 15.0.4569.1506

Hopefully this will help someone else out in future.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, OWA doesn't affect Excel, partially affects Word documents, and fully affects PowerPoint.

For your issue, I would suggest checking through the following first:

SharePoint and OWA are installed on the server.

OWA is activated for the site collection.

Restarted the PowerPoint and Word Viewing services.

OWA service account  have db_owner rights on the content database.

Besides, here are two similar post, you can use as a reference:

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/88877/office-web-apps-cant-read-edit-powerpoint-or-read-word-but-excel-reads-edits-f

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/22781/office-web-app-error-sharepoint-2010

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Lisa Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 3:39 AM
  • Have you taken a look at the ULS logs on the WAC server(s) to see if you can identify any issues there?

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:28 AM
  • Yup, I don't have them here but the short version is that an unthrown error is logged regarding the conversion pipeline and occasionally there's a permission denied 0x80030005, error logged in there. Beyond that there's nothing of note. I already chewed through Wictor's 'unhealthy servers' blog post but that didn't solve the underlying issues for us.

Lisa's stack exchange post is very similar to my situation.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:04 AM
  • I rebuilt the OWA servers, based on Wictor's guide here: http://www.wictorwilen.se/Tags/Office%20Web%20Apps and got it working.

It works as long as the render cache location is on the C drive, it can be set to a non-standard location ("C:\OWA\RenderCache") but it cannot be moved onto another drive, at least in my environment. If you do then you get error messages in the ULS such as:

[AppServerHost.exe] Word failed to open the document (Error Code = 0x80030005)

[AppServerHost.exe] end opening file output.docx

You may also see Audit Failure messages (ID 4656) for Network Service in your server security logs identifying an object in the render cache location.

The Logs and 'Cache' can be on the D drive without any issues but the render cache doesn't like being moved.

Tested with OWA 2013 SP1 - Build number 15.0.4569.1506

Hopefully this will help someone else out in future.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:28 AM
  • My WAC farm has an alternative drive for the render cache. I think the key here was that WAC must be installed to the same drive letter as the render cache location.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 5:58 PM
  • That's useful to know, thanks Trevor.
    Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for posting this, it just saved me a lot of time. 

Rahul Gupta, MCSE, MCSD - SharePoint

Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:46 AM