none
SmartScreen setting - Require approval from an administrator is not working RRS feed

• Question

• HI All,

Testing SmartScreen setting in windows 10 1607 version. Enabled it via GPO and it is prompting a warning only. So, modified the following registry key value to 2 to get "Require approval from an administrator" prompt and block the software.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System] "EnableSmartScreen"=dword:2”

But this setting is not blocking the installation of unknown softwares. Instead just prompting a warning before running the software.

In control Panel also I don't see any option for require admin approval.  SO how could I Block the malicious content download or installation, is there any other setting to block the unknown software.

Thanks in Advance

Monday, November 21, 2016 11:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Swetha Burla,

I would make an apology. I didn`t explain it clearly.
    I checked the symptom again.
    For downloading files, the unsafe files will be blocked completely unless we disabled the SmartScreen feature. For unknown app, we will get a popup warning(the gpo has explained this) but we could still run it no matter when we login with an administrator account or a standard user.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try the registry values mentioned here and see if they helps you in this case:

http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-use-windows-smartscreen-in-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi Swetha Burla,

The "SmartScreen" feature on Windows 10.14393 version has been changed. It only has two options "on" or "Off". The registry key you have configured is actually corresponding to the gpo(Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer>Configure Windows SmartScreen ).
    On previous version, it has three options but it only has two options now.

Previous version:

1607:

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:33 AM
  • 

Hi Kapil,

Thanks for the details it just shows a warning though I modify the registry value from prompt to RequireAdmin.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:07 PM
  • HI MeipoXu,

If this setting is changed to Enable(Warning) /Disable(Turn Off completely) option then how could we block the unknown software. Is there any other setting to block them and notify to contact the Administrator for approval...

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:10 PM
  • Hi Swetha Burla,

" Is there any other setting to block them and notify to contact the Administrator for approval..."

I am afraid there is no such option.

For the change, it means all the unknown software will be blocked if we enabled the "SmartScreen" feature. This will make the system more security.

Best regards

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:07 AM
  • It shows a block prompt with more details.. If you click on that it will show you Run Anyway option which doesn't mean that its a block.
    Monday, November 28, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi Swetha Burla,

I would make an apology. I didn`t explain it clearly.
    I checked the symptom again.
    For downloading files, the unsafe files will be blocked completely unless we disabled the SmartScreen feature. For unknown app, we will get a popup warning(the gpo has explained this) but we could still run it no matter when we login with an administrator account or a standard user.

Best regards

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.
    Friday, December 9, 2016 11:25 PM