none
PWA 2010 resource availability does not update when tasks are marked 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I have a resource in MSPS 2010 that just completed a project and the tasks are marked 100% complete both in MS Project Pro and in PWA. However, when I click on that resources availability it is still showing that they are overallocated even though all their tasks are complete.  Why is PWA resource availability not updating to reflect correct availability?
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:36 PM

Answers

• Maybe I misunderstand somesthing but your resource has not 11hrs of availability.

You have to consider those figures by time period, ie week.

For the week you specified (1 to 7 dec), your resource has 19+14=33hrs of actual work. Since it has 25hrs/week of availability, the remainining availability is not 11hrs but -8hrs, meaning that your resource is (has been) overallocated for this period.

If task 1 is completed, then the resource has availability on periods after task 1 finish date. But if the resource has been overallocated on any time period (even past period), it will be marked as overallocated.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by btango Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Btango,

You should separate the concept of tracking work (actual work, % complete) and overallocation. A resource will show overallocation whenever he/she will be assign on a time period (day, week, month) more than his availability defined by the working hours in his calendar.

Thus a resource might have completed a given task (marked as complete with 100% complete) and still be overallocated due to planned work on another assignment over his availability (>8hrs/day).

Note also that if you are using Project Server, a resource might be overallocated due to assignments on other projects on the server. Refer to this article for more information:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/project-help/summary-assignment-field-HA010214019.aspx

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume for you feedback but I am still having an issue with availability being incorrect.  Here is my example in more detail.

Resource Jon Doe  Capacity 25 hours/week

Project 1 Task 1

12/1-12/7  100% complete   19 hours of actual work

Project 2 task 2

12/1-12/7 0% complete 14 hours of actual work

Availability   -8 hours 

Why would availability show -8 hours for that week when Project 1 task 1 is 100% complete?  I am expecting that PWA would update to reflect 11 hours of capacity.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Hi Btango,

It is actually a normal behavior:

The task 1 is 100% complete, thus actual work = work = 19hrs

Task 2 is 14 hrs of actual work

Task 1 + task 2 = 19 + 14 = 33 hrs of work (and actual work).

Since availability is 25 hrs per week, remaining availability is 25-33=-8hrs.

I'd also mention that your scenario is inconsistent: having a task at 0% complete with 14hrs of actual work is not possible.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:09 PM
  • My question still remains, the resource has 11 hours of availability to assign to other tasks, however PWA shows them as overallocated. They are complete task 1 hence they have availability.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Maybe I misunderstand somesthing but your resource has not 11hrs of availability.

You have to consider those figures by time period, ie week.

For the week you specified (1 to 7 dec), your resource has 19+14=33hrs of actual work. Since it has 25hrs/week of availability, the remainining availability is not 11hrs but -8hrs, meaning that your resource is (has been) overallocated for this period.

If task 1 is completed, then the resource has availability on periods after task 1 finish date. But if the resource has been overallocated on any time period (even past period), it will be marked as overallocated.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by btango Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:55 PM