Upgrade 7/8.1 client to 10 via WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i got some clients on my network with win7/8.1 pro retail editions. WSUS got 'Upgrade' to Win 10 Pro 1511 10586 pl-pl, detail license. I assigned few test clients to specific group and approved the update to that group. When I try update'ing on clients all i get is 80244019 error. Message in wsus is also extremely helpful - download failed. Cant imagine myself updating over 70 machines one by one...

My WSUS is set on Server 2012 (WSUS version 6.2.9200.21848) with all latest patches.

• Edited by zawias92 Friday, May 13, 2016 6:07 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi zawias92,

> Message in wsus is also extremely helpful - download failed.

Test if add .esd MINE type in WSUS site could work: Open IIS, click WSUS site, in WSUS Administration Home, click MIME types, add:

If after adding .esd MIME type, clients could download the upgrade file, while still have issues to upgrade, then you may add a registry key AllowOSUpgrade to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\O
    SUpgrade.

For more information about issues when upgrade to win10 we might meet, you may check this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/fdb1ed67-3199-40f8-9ddb-8d6fe469e101/upgrading-to-windows-10-using-wsus-doesnt-work?forum=winserverwsus

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Oh, thank you! Clients now download it, however is there still no way to automate it? say, install on regular update scheduled? It need initation on client to start upgrade ;/
    Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Hi zawias92,

>Oh, thank you! Clients now download it

You are welcome!

>however is there still no way to automate it?

As far as I know, still not, I didn't see an update for this topic.

Repost this link in case you haven't read it:

Win10 1511, how do we force an automatic install

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4b9e9f11-8e63-4c7d-a380-1e5781c6a815/win10-1511-how-do-we-force-an-automatic-install?forum=winserverwsus

Besides, if you think you have solved the issue in your original post, you may mark the useful replies as answer, so that we can close this post.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:22 AM