Outlook constantly asking "This item has been changed. Still want to delete it." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using O365 and I keep getting this message every time I delete or close Outlook - " This item has been changed. Still want to delete it"  I ran Outlook on safe mode and disappear for two days and it came back again. how do I get rid this? It is very annoying that keep asking me if I want to save the changes. 

Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi ana-12,

>>  I keep getting this message every time I delete or close Outlook 

Could you please clarify what you mean by "delete Outlook"? 
    It would be better that you can provide the detailed steps to reproduce the issue then our community can help you better.

>> I ran Outlook on safe mode and disappear for two days and it came back again.

Was Outlook in normal mode when the issue came back?

To help narrow down if the problem is related to any third-party add-ins, please try the following steps and see the result:

1. Start Outlook in normal mode, go to File > Options > Add-ins.
    2. Select COM Add-ins, and then click Go.
    3. Click to clear all the check boxes in the list, and then click OK.
    4. Restart Outlook. If the issue doesn't occur, start adding the add-ins one at a time until the issue occurs.

Based on my research, some Adobe related add-ins might caused this error.

If the problem persists, please collect the detailed version information of both Outlook and Windows OS then we can do further research on this.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 3, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Yuki --

I am also using Outlook in Office 365.  Whenever I open an e-mail message in Outlook, read it but do nothing else with it, and then close the message, I see the Microsoft Outlook warning dialog, "The body of the message has been changed.  Want to save your changes to this message?"  I made NO CHANGES to the e-mail message, but still get the warning dialog.  I have the same problem if I open an e-mail message, read it, and then delete it.  This time I see a warning dialog, "This item has been changed.  Still want to delete it?"  I made NO CHANGES to the e-mail message, but still get the warning dialog.

This problem appeared a couple of weeks ago.  Since then I have run a Quick Repair on Office from the Control Panel, but the problem persists.  Any chance this is a new bug introduced in a recent update?

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 7, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Could you please collect the detailed build number of both Outlook and Windows OS then we can look further into this issue?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 7, 2017 1:52 PM
  • I get the same thing so the Outlook version and build is 1706 (Build 8229.2045 Click-to-run)

Windows 10 Verison 1607 (OS Build 1439.1358)

Friday, July 7, 2017 5:00 PM
  • I have the same issue too, I'm pretty sure it's due to the new map link that gets created on any email with an address in it. Seems like a new feature, I get this when just closing an email. It does not happen on emails without an address.
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

I was getting the message "The properties of the message have been changed..............want to save the changes?" every time I forwarded the message and then went to close it. I tried the quick repair which didn't work so then ran the full repair, everything seems ok now

• Edited by Steve1629 Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:43 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve1629 Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:44 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:42 AM