.edb file and .pst file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a exchange 2010 server. There is a user with a 100BG .edb file. The user has been experiencing problems access her mail on exchange because of the size of her email store. I have a two part question. One can the .edb file be converted to a .pst file, and two what are the size limitations of a .pst file in exchange 2010 and outlook 2007? Any help answering these questions would be appreciated. Thank You

• Changed type oshirkhan Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:26 PM
    • Changed type Mike Crowley Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:59 PM

Answers

1. So you only have ONE user in this EDB is that correct?
    2. First thing I would do would be to look at how that data is stored, i.e. if for example you have everything every received stored within the INBOX then that is going to be your # 1 issue and you should have that user make folders by year or some other method that makes sense to them and things till get faster.
    3. That said if its 100GB mailbox for a single user that's still very large and you may want to Archive some of the data off to PST as you mentioned OR put into an Exchange 2010 Archive mailbox
    4. If you are using Outlook 2010 the PST file can theoretically be up to 50GB but personally I would not go over 45GB.  If its Outlook 2007 or 2003 the limit is 20GB and I wouldn't go over 18GB

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, December 5, 2011 9:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I believe you can configure a PST of whatever size you'd like via these keys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925.  Having said that, I would probably not mess with that in production without some testing first.  It sounds like a lot of data is at stake.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:43 AM

All replies

1. So you only have ONE user in this EDB is that correct?
    2. First thing I would do would be to look at how that data is stored, i.e. if for example you have everything every received stored within the INBOX then that is going to be your # 1 issue and you should have that user make folders by year or some other method that makes sense to them and things till get faster.
    3. That said if its 100GB mailbox for a single user that's still very large and you may want to Archive some of the data off to PST as you mentioned OR put into an Exchange 2010 Archive mailbox
    4. If you are using Outlook 2010 the PST file can theoretically be up to 50GB but personally I would not go over 45GB.  If its Outlook 2007 or 2003 the limit is 20GB and I wouldn't go over 18GB

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:39 PM
  • I believe you can configure a PST of whatever size you'd like via these keys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925.  Having said that, I would probably not mess with that in production without some testing first.  It sounds like a lot of data is at stake.

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:43 AM
  • Mark, once again, if your going to make a post at least use your own words and knowledge,  The above is a 100% copy of a previous post of mine.   Please write your own post and use your own actual knowledge about your product

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 --> 2016 with Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Vendor shill post above!

It's amazing how quickly and repeatedly these vendor shill posts come out when someone mentions EDB to PST or something like that.  This "EDB to PST Converter" product must be a big pile of crap if their employees have to pose as customers and make phony testimonials and then enlist their phony alternate accounts to vote them as helpful.

shill

noun                    
    a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
    a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:48 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:47 PM

It's amazing how quickly and repeatedly these vendor shill posts come out when someone mentions EDB to PST or something like that.  This "EDB to PST Converter" product must be a big pile of crap if their employees have to pose as customers and make phony testimonials and then enlist their phony alternate accounts to vote them as helpful.

shill

noun                    
    a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
    a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Ed CrowleyMVP Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:51 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:48 PM

shill

noun                    

Sunday, January 8, 2017 7:50 PM

shill

noun                    

shill

noun                    

• Exmerge will not work on Exchange 2010.  last supported version was 2003 and there was a workaround for 2007 but that's it i.e. 2010 forward it will note work

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:20 PM

shill

noun                    

Sunday, April 23, 2017 6:48 AM