XP Mode in Windows 10 Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• I am rather concerned about the Windows XP Mode in Windows 10. Although I have an old Windows XP license, I have installed the Windows XP Mode in my Windows 7 Professional.

Now I have the offer of Microsoft to Update to Windows 10 and I have checked the compatibility of my current Windows 7 installation. There is a report about a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 that are possibly not compatible with Windows 10. That is a pity, because I have payed a whole lot of money for Visual Studio 2008. Now I have the strategy to move everything that does not function anymore in Windows 7 to Windows XP in XP Mode, for example the Epson Scanner and some software for the Canon 350 D camera. The compatibility check does not report anything about problems with the XP Mode in Windows 10. Does that mean that I can trust Microsoft and rely on the XP Mode that comes with Windows 10 for my old hard- and software? In the internet I have read that the XP Mode is no more supported. What is the truth about that question?

Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:25 PM

Answers

• Gerd,

Yes you are right, Windows XP mode is developed for running under some of the editions of Windows 7 ( Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise ). More information, please check: Windows XP Mode.

Running Windows XP mode under Windows 10 is not officially supported. Instead, we may enable Hyper-V to run Virtual Machines in Windows 10.

For the other compatibility parts, if you would like to keep using the old software under Windows 7, then we may running Windows 7 under Hyper-V, and install the software there.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:43 AM

All replies

• In addition to my first question, here some remarks. On my current Debian Linux installation I have also a Windows XP Mode with an old Windows XP license. Even Microsoft Photodraw runs there. Is it better to use this Linux installation in the future for all the stuff that is incompatible with these fancy new Window versions?

The more I think about it, the less I can see any advantage of the Windows 10 above Windows 7 Professional for me, because it seems to me as if the new things are the same as for Windows 8: the support of tablets and touch screens and this Appstore, less support for old hard- and software, plus all the things that I already hate with my android smartphone. I even have taken out the SIM-card off my Samsung smartphone and am now using my old Nokia mobile phone again, because it really makes more sense to me. And now I shall install a new operating system that has less features than the old one and makes something like a mobile phone or an Xbox out of my perfect desktop computer?

Until now I do not understand the advantage. This update seems only to cost my money because I possibly can not use my old hard- and software anymore and it provides no advantage, except that it looks somehow better than Windows 8. But Windows 8 is no alternative, I compare it to Windows 7. And compared to Windows 7 it seems to have less features (except things I don't need).

• Edited by Gerd Koslowski Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:10 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Ed 2808 Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ed 2808 Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:57 AM
    Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Gerd,

Yes you are right, Windows XP mode is developed for running under some of the editions of Windows 7 ( Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise ). More information, please check: Windows XP Mode.

Running Windows XP mode under Windows 10 is not officially supported. Instead, we may enable Hyper-V to run Virtual Machines in Windows 10.

For the other compatibility parts, if you would like to keep using the old software under Windows 7, then we may running Windows 7 under Hyper-V, and install the software there.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:43 AM
  • Sometimes I am even using really old software. To support some ISDN-telephone systems from the 90's, I have to use Windows 98, because the equipment software does not even support Windows XP. Hyper-V seems to solve all these issues. What about the license of Windows 7 Professional? May I use it to run Windows 7 in Windows 10 Hyper-V?

And another question that is interesting for me, in addition to the XP-Mode question, is the support of harddisk mirroring in Windows 10 Pro. I have installed Windows 7 Professional as a Windows Raid-1, not using the support of the mainboard.  So I can safely sit at my computer and use it despite hard disks with questionable reliability (one rarely gets something better these days). Ok, plus a backup on an external hard disk in case of problems with software, viruses and so on.  What about the support of dynamic disks and mirroring in Windows 10 Pro? I have nowhere read anything about that.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 12:09 AM
  • It seems to me that for a Windows XP virtual machine that runs under Windows 7 Ultimate, the safest thing to do is to download all the apps and data files to a memory stick. Upgrade to Windows 10, activate Hyper-V(when a stable Windows 10 bug free build is achieved) then install a new "Windows XP virtual machine under Hyper-V. The XP apps and data files from the old Windows 7 Ultimate Virtual XP machine can then be uploaded to the new Hyper-V virtual XP machine from the memory stick.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:11 AM