none
Importing subprojects into master PP RRS feed

• Question

• I have created subproject plan templates for reuse and incorporation into master plans.

When there is a need for a subproject, I create the subproject plan from its template and save it.

The problem is, sometimes I need to incorporate multiples of the same type of project template and incorporate them all into the master.

The original name of the template is being incorporated into the plan, instead of the actual file name of the subproject.

So, for example, I have Subproject Template A.

I create two subproject plans from Template A, Subproject 1 and Subproject 2.  I attempt to incorporate them into my master project plan, but they both show up with "Template A" as their task names.

I've even tried renaming them, but when I hit "Save", they revert to the template name.

Any suggestions?

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:59 PM

All replies

• PM Guru,

Windows does not go by the file name when inserting subprojects into a master, rather it goes by the Title. Try changing the Title of each new template you want to insert. You can find the Title under File/Info. On the right hand side of the screen hit Project Information and then select Advanced Properties. Or, since the Title is also the task Name of the Project Summary Task, you could display that (Format/Show-Hide group) and change the Title there.

However, a word of caution. Linked structures in Project are fragile and subject to corruption. You must never rename, move, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure. Further, the whole structure should be kept under a single directory on a local drive and not operated over a network.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, December 7, 2015 5:50 PM