WSUS Errors 12042 12022 12032 12012 12002 10022 13042 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with WSUS server on 2019. I setup server and then ran the initial update sync. I then setup GPO's to assigned computers to the different groups. next I plan to add one down stream server. 

It started where I occasionally got this connection error and I would have to restart it. Has gotten alot worse and the restart are not always help or they happen within 2-3 minutes of opening WSUS console Especially if I got to the sync section. 

Here is what I have done to address the situation so far. 

1. I have run the MS WSUS clean up Powershell WSUS-Clean found  I could not get it to run which i think is because the WSUS is not running due to the errors. 

2. I ran the MS WSUS Clean up Updates Powershell found here:  Sometimes that fixes issues along with a restart sometime the server will not come back up. 

3. I notice that there is a large amount of MEM usage for SQL Server Windows NT - Windows Internal Database around 4k. 

4. I due to the high CPU usage I followed the instructions in the following articular to change application pool memory. I set it to 0. 

I also have deleted the appdata file for WSUS several times. 

This seems to have fixed some of the issues. 

However when ever I go into sync now it will run the history the progress bar on the bottom right gets to 85 percent and then the error comes back. Also the memory is high again for the SQL Server Window NT and the IIS Worker Process is at 2.8 GB of memory. I also notice that if I restart the computer after this happens the WSUS Application Pool in IIS is stopped. 

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas?

Thursday, July 23, 2020 4:52 AM

Answers

• Rita,

It was part of the setup that looks like I missed. I remembered seeing it and thought I did it

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 must be installed on the server where the WSUS server role will be installed.

• The NT Authority\Network Service account must have Full Control permissions for the following folders so that the WSUS Administration snap-in displays correctly:

• %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files

• %windir%\Temp

• Confirm that the account you plan to use to install WSUS is a member of the Local Administrators group.

• Marked as answer by Soren-Sac-IT Friday, July 31, 2020 7:16 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2020 7:16 PM

All replies

•      

Hi Soren-Sac-IT,

Thanks for your posting on this forum.

It seems that there is something issue with your IIS configuration. Please refer the following steps to reset the websit port.

Open CMD as an administrator and navigate to the wsusutil.exe tool. Here is the location of the wsusutil.exe tool.

And then enter the following command:

wsusutil.exe usecustomwebsite true

Reference picture:

Restart the IIS services. And then we may try to check for the health of the WSUS role as the following steps:
    Open CMD as an administrator and navigate to the wsusutil.exe tool. Then enter wsusutil.exe checkhealth. If there is an event ID 10000 in the Event Viewer, the WSUS server is running healthy.

Hope to see your feedback. Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 23, 2020 8:22 AM
  • Rita, 

I did previously try that and I did it again. I still had the same results with the WSUS MMC snap in where sync timed out then came up with connection error. When I stopped and tried starting the WSUS Application Pool it stopped fine but error-ed out starting, with error: "There was an error while performing this operation Details The service cannot accept control messages at this time (Exception From HResult: 0x80070425)"

Also there are alot of 5002 events in event viewer with details: Application pool 'WsusPool' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool. 

Let me know if you have any other ideas or more detail logging that I can perform. 

Soren 

Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:06 PM
  • Rita, 

I also found the below advice. What do you think of trying it. 

A second approach may be to set Enable 32-Bit Applications to False in the Application Pools Advanced Settings. This’ll disable the 32-bit mode for WSUSPool, and forces it to run 64-bit. Be sure to have an ISAPI Filter set for 64-bit Framework as well!

• Open IIS Manager on the WSUS server.
    • Browse to the website being used by WSUS. Depending on the WSUS configuration, this will typically be either the Default Web Site or a site named WSUS Administration.
    • Double-click ISAPI Filters.
    • Verify there is an entry that corresponds to ASP.Net v4.0 (the specific version number may vary) and has an Executable path set with Framework64.
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:29 PM
  •          

Hi Soren-Sac-IT,

Thanks for your time.

The setting of not enabling 32-Bit Applications is a default configuration in IIS. It is recommended to configure this setting as the following picture. 
    The following Event ID 12042 12022 12032 12012 12002 10022 13042 indicate that many kinds of services are not running. It seems that the following setting is not configured correctly.

Reference picture:

As for the ISAPI Filter setting, here is a default configuration for your reference. Please refer to the following picture:

Regards,
    Rita

We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 24, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Rita

The Enable 32-bit is already set to False and the ISAPI Filter is already there and matches the pics you sent. 

Do you have any other ideas. 

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 5:15 PM
  • Hi Soren-Sac-IT,

Thanks for your response.

In my opinion, there is some wrong with your IIS. The error shows that many services in IIS are not running. It is recommended to rebuild the WSUS role. We may need to completely clear WSUS before reinstalling WSUS. Please try to follow the below to remove the WSUS role:

To remove WSUS completely, you need to:
    1. Remove the following server roles and features through Server Manager:
    Roles: Windows Server Update Server
    features: Windows Server Update Services Tools(at Remote Server Administration Tools -> Role Administration Tools)
    Follow the wizard prompts to complete the deletion. Then restart the server.

2. After the server is restarted, manually delete the folder or file of the following path:
    - C:\WSUS (this depends on where you choose to install WSUS)
    - C:\Program Files\Update Services

3. Delete database files
    If you use SQL Server Management Studio to delete a database, you can try as follow.
    In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, and then expand that instance. Expand Databases, right-click the database to delete, and then click Delete. Confirm the correct database is selected, and then click OK.

If you use a WID database, it is recommended to delete the following path folders:
    C:\Windows\WID

4. In the IIS Information Services (IIS) Manager, manually remove the WSUS Administration site. Then restart the server. 

Regards,
    Rita

Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:44 AM
  • Rita, 

I fixed the issue and you were correct it was and IIS issues with write permissions. I added the right accounts and it works fine now. Thanks for all your help. 

Soren

Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:22 PM
  • Hi Soren,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Wish you have a nice weekend. Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
    Rita

Friday, July 31, 2020 1:18 AM
  • Rita,

It was part of the setup that looks like I missed. I remembered seeing it and thought I did it

• Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 must be installed on the server where the WSUS server role will be installed.

• The NT Authority\Network Service account must have Full Control permissions for the following folders so that the WSUS Administration snap-in displays correctly:

• %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files

• %windir%\Temp

• Confirm that the account you plan to use to install WSUS is a member of the Local Administrators group.

• Marked as answer by Soren-Sac-IT Friday, July 31, 2020 7:16 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2020 7:16 PM
  • Hi Soren-Sac-IT,

Thanks for your sharing on this forum. If you have any issues next time, please feel free to post on the Q&A forum.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Rita

Monday, August 3, 2020 7:36 AM