prncache.dll - errors stopping any printing RRS feed

• Question

• I've not used my PC much this week due to various social and work pressures, however, when I did, I didn't do any printing and the following Windows Updates came down the line and I installed them (OS - Win7 x64 Ultimate): -

6x Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2515325, 2511250, 2522422, 2492386, 982018, 2506928)

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467175)

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2467174)

After which I experienced no issues until today when I came to print from Opera (Browser)...

This was the link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/crispy_fillet_steak_with_08366

I received the following error message attached (http://www.tonybro.com/prncache.png)

I opened the link in IE9 to make sure Opera wasn't the culprit and got the following error message (http://www.tonybro.com/ie9prncache.png)

I can print out text from Notepad but not from the browsers.

Strange but then I thought the other PCs in the house have access to this printer as it's shared (but directly connedted via USB) so I would try from them. I fired up my laptop (Win7 x64 Home Edition), Opened Opera (same version) and navigated to the link above. Clicked Print and off it went and printed!

So know I know, the printer appears to work for non-browser applications on the PC it's directly connected to and browsers on other machines can send print jobs to it but it still won't print from either IE9 or Opera11.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony

Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

After checking this issue, I would like to confirm the following details:

1.    Which brand and model printer you are currently using? 

2.    How about other webpages? Can you print some other pages in Internet Explorer 9?

As you said, this issue should be caused by the prncache.dll file, due to this is a system file, I suggest you run SFC command to check the result:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Meanwhile, please check the Event Viewer to see if there is any information about this error.

Also, you could try to install the following hotfix to replace the prncache.dll:

No print jobs are displayed in the IPP print queue on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 2, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I can shed some further light on this: -

Printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R300, not a recent printer by any means but still supported by Epson and has  native Windows 7 driver support from MS.

Cannot print other pages from IE9 or Opera (i.e. this thread for example) as I get the same error messages.

Nothing in the Event Viewer about the error either.

I've run SFC and it has confirmed an error with prncache.dll but can't repair it due to the cached file also being corrupt!

Excerpt from CBS.log

2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f2 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-printing-printcache_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_af4d5367890eb1fc\prncache.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"prncache.dll" :
      Found: {l:32 b:0ypiO+GoMbCPzJjdxXNYTXvsT1C/RWdP3tIl/jCNOEY=} Expected: {l:32 b:Fa+b+gJ6eDNhxxSeXtp+mda5Lber6LNFMr8xQbwnp0w=}
    2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f3 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"prncache.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-PrintCache, Version = 6.1.7601.17514, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f4 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
    2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f5 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\prncache.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"prncache.dll" :
      Found: {l:32 b:0ypiO+GoMbCPzJjdxXNYTXvsT1C/RWdP3tIl/jCNOEY=} Expected: {l:32 b:Fa+b+gJ6eDNhxxSeXtp+mda5Lber6LNFMr8xQbwnp0w=}
    2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f6 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-printing-printcache_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_af4d5367890eb1fc\prncache.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"prncache.dll" :
    2011-05-02 13:02:59, Info                  CSI    000003f7 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:24{12}]"prncache.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

I am wondering whether to do a re-nstall as this is the original installation patched to the hilt! :-) Unless you can convince me otherwise.....

Monday, May 2, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for update.

First, please refer to the following article to see if it could help you:

You cannot print or view the print preview of a webpage in Internet Explorer 9

If this issue persists, I suggest you try to copy the good files from same version of Windows 7 to see if it helps:

1.    At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

2.    Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

3.    Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:

Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination

For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:30 AM
  • No joy I'm afraid Alex! :-(

I CAN see the print preview in IE9 and Opera but as soon as I click Print - up come the error messages and that's after copying the known good files over from my other Win7 x64 Ultimate machine which is a known good installation....

It's a known good installation as it can print from IE9 to the very printer I am trying to print to that is directly attached to my machine....

I might admit defeat on this at the weekend but it is annoying as the PC is working fine otherwise.... go figure!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

As we can see, it is related to the prncache.dll file. At this time, I would like to confirm with you if you have tried the hotfix above? This hotfix would replace the Prncache.dll with a new version.

If this issue still persists, I suggest you try system restore to get back a previous time point to check if it could fix this issue.

Alex Zhao

Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:06 AM
  • No joy Alex.

On the first Hotfix it tells me it is not suitable for my machine and I DID request the x64 version and the second fix by disabling hardware acceleration didn't work either but then I didn't think it would as the effect is also seen in Opera.

System Restore is a non-starter too as there is obviously a wider issue at play as the system tells me System restore is off for all drives except C: which it lists as missing yet also has an entry for Drive C (Local) above it. The PC is performing just fine otherwise.

I thinks its time for a complete rebuild as I know I haven't turned System Restore off and I regularly scan for nasties with MalwareBytes and have Security Essentials protecting the PC neither of which is telling me anything is installed that shouldn't be there.....

Thanks for your efforts.....

Tony

Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe you could try in-place upgrade to fix this corrupted system file before rebuilding your system:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, May 16, 2011 1:52 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to see whether there is anything further I can do for you. If you have any other concerns and problems, please feel free to let me know. I will try my best to be of assistance.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:52 AM