Best way to set up numerous subpages / clients? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up SharePoint 2007 for my company in WSS 3.0. We are a consulting firm with multiple active clients. We want to be able to maintain, but lock, client sites after projects are completed. I am trying to come up with the best way to handle many active/inactive clients and projects, and if I have it set up (which doesn't seem very clean) will lead to problems down the road. This is what I'm thinking:

Each client is a subsite of sharepoint.company.com/clients

Active clients are tagged with an @ in their name and description so they appear on the top of the sites and site hierarchy lists on the client page. When a client is no longer active, the @ is removed.

Client sites do not inherent the top link bar. Each project for a client (there may be one or many) is a separate subsite under the client site, which appears on the top link bar. That allows completed projects to be read-only.

Is there a better way to do this? Originally I was thinking I could have a client/active and client/inactive folder, but then I learned that it's a pain to move sites around in SharePoint. Is there a limit to how many subsites / clients the client page will be able to handle? If, down the road, we have a few hundred inactive clients and a dozen or so active clients, will this setup lead to headaches?

Thanks.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, June 20, 2011 2:03 PM A cross between a general post asking for ideas and an admin post asking specific questions. BUT certainly not a customization question. Moving to General (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, June 20, 2011 1:52 PM

Answers

• For capacity planning, check out this TN article. Though I am not 100% sure if you are talking about Office SharePoint Server or just WSS 3.0, your first line wasnt very clear on that.

MOSS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(office.12).aspx

WSS: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287790(office.12).aspx

Note a little over half way down, it has the "Guidelines for acceptable performance" which is a table that gives the recommended specs number of sites, subsites, list items etc.....

For the most part they will be very similar as far as recommended limits. You should plan around these limits. In some cases, it may come down to just deciding on how many clients you want per web application. Possibly putting your higher volume clients on a seperate web app so you really dont have to worry about hitting any limits.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, June 27, 2011 8:35 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 8:32 PM