none
Getting Internet working for Win XP VM inside Win 10 host

Question

• Dear forum,

I just done googling with no luck on how to successfully get network access (internet) for my newly created Win XP x86 VM running in Win10 x64 host.

I have a "legacy network adapter" created talking to the switch, but dont know how to configure the NIC (static IP setups), hence cannot connect to the internet.

Thanks forum

Budana

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:01 AM

All replies

• It's the same as if it were a physical machine with physical NIC. Give it an appropriate address, subnet and default gateway, dns for the network you have connected to. Default gateway is probably your router address, dns could be router or public dns such as 8.8.8.8 If you need help then I'd post an unedited ipconfig /all of guest and another working pc on same network.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:35 AM
  • Thanks again Dave,

But i've been fiddling with this for almost 2 days with no luck. I guess a very basic step by step or directions will be much appreciated.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:54 AM
  • What makes it even more difficult is that the setup has to be done in the host side properly (like where and what do we enable the sharing of the connection, what items to install in the LAN properties, etc.).

Thanks again Dave.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:59 AM
  • If the host has internet then just connect the guest to same external vSwitch and it should just work.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:06 AM
  • What I did was delete the VM and start all over (because the changes in the network settings I did was more than necessary and I got even more confused).

So now it is working, no need to configure static IP (automatic detect did it in the XP VM side) and it connected to the legacy switch. So it was not that complicated.

Thanks for your patience, Dave.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:38 AM
  •   I agree. It should "just work". You should not need to do any static config. The vm should get its config from DHCP just as the physical machines do. (You do have a DHCP server on the physical network?)

Set the WinXP vm to get its IP automatically and do an ipconfig after it has run for a while. Post the ipconfig here if it looks odd.

This question really should be in

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

if the host in Windows 10.

Bill

Thursday, March 2, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Good to hear, you're welcome.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:47 PM

• Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:06 AM