Windows defender is turned off, I keep getting an error code 0x800106ba it tells me to get help/support on how to start a service manually RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Windows Defender Beta builds have expired as of 12/31/2006. Users who are running pre-release (beta) builds of Windows Defender will see the following error:

Windows Defender
    Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

Please download the latest version at www.microsoft.com/defender.

Meanwhile, as Windows Defender has been replaced in Microsoft security Essentials, it is suggested to download Microsoft security Essentials instead.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:22 AM

All replies

• Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

Windows Defender Beta builds have expired as of 12/31/2006. Users who are running pre-release (beta) builds of Windows Defender will see the following error:

Windows Defender
    Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.

Please download the latest version at www.microsoft.com/defender.

Meanwhile, as Windows Defender has been replaced in Microsoft security Essentials, it is suggested to download Microsoft security Essentials instead.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:22 AM
  • Click Start - Control Panel - choose Classic View in left hand pane - choose
    Administrative Tools - then Services. Find Windows Defender in the list -
    right click and choose Properties - change Startup to Automatic - then click
    Start.

OR

Click Start - All Programs - Accessories - Right click Command Prompt and
    choose Run As Administrator. Type (or copy the below two lines and right
    click in the command prompt window and choose Paste)

sc config windefend start= auto
    sc start windefend
    --
    --
    "Praise_The_Lord" wrote in message
    news:f9b1f82a-5780-41cd-9d24-eb01b2559932...
    > Can anyone help me?????

• Proposed as answer by meggeary Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Mine is already set up for Automatic startup, but it still won't start up. I tried manually starting it, and I get this error message: "The Windows Defender service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:00 PM
  • I thank god that you've post this! I've tried figuring that problem out for the past 1-2 hours... Luckily i saw this post, tried it out, walla! Worked like a charm. =]
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:50 AM