Custom DNS for Skype for Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have Lync 2010 and I am planning to parallel migrate to Skype for Business. for Skype I do not want to use all the old External and Internal DNS names and want to use new DNS entries. like

Lync 2010 have : Meet.ABC.com, dialin.abc.com, lsweb.abc.com, lyncdiscover.abc.com, av.abc.com, access.abc.com and webcon.abc.com and same as internal DNS.

I want to replace all this with new entries and migrate the user from lync 2010 pool to Skype for business.like

Skpe will have:  meeting.abc.com, SkypeDialin.abc.com, skypelsweb.abc.com, skypediscover.abc.com, audiovideo.abc.com, skpeaccess.abc.com and same for conf.abc.com.

first is it do-able? if yes what are the other impact with this, I know old lync 2010 meeting will need to be rescheduled with new meeting URL. 

thanks

Zak 

ZakBhai

Thursday, November 30, 2017 4:08 AM

Answers

• for first question yes it is doable.(just take care of DNS records and Certificates).

for second for new meetings there is no impact only the meeting scheduled before the migration of user from lync to SFB

Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi ZakBhai,

Yes.When you changed DNS records,you should notice to change the simple URLs and certificates for DNS records.You could changed simple URLs on the Lync Topology Builder,

1.right-click the Lync Server node, and then click Edit Properties.

2.In the Simple URLs pane, select the simple URLs that you want to change,and then click Edit URL.

3.Update the URL to the value you want, and then click OK to save the edited URL

4.Publish the topology.

You could refer to the following link when you Edit or configure simple URLs in skype for business.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398063(v=ocs.15).aspx

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:43 AM
  • HI Leon,

Thanks for your response. I think my question is not clear. let me rephrase it.

1st Question, Can I make my own URL's instead of what's MS is stating for

Meet.<SipDomain> to Meeting.<SipDomain>

AV.SipDomain to audiovideo.<SipDomain>

webcon.<SipDomain> to conf.<SipDomain>

sip.<SipDomain> to skypesip.<SipDomain>

2nd Question, If I change these URL in Skype and move the user from Lync 2010 pool to Skpe pool. I knoe meet.sipdomain will be broken because its meeting.sipdomain in Skype. what else I am missing here.

thanks,

Zak

ZakBhai

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:12 PM
  • for first question yes it is doable.(just take care of DNS records and Certificates).

for second for new meetings there is no impact only the meeting scheduled before the migration of user from lync to SFB

Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Thanks Hamed,

ON question 2, i was also on the same page about the old meetings, until i saw this tool.

Skype for Business Online, Meeting Migration Tool (64-bit)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51659

will this toll update all the previous meetings from Meet.abc.com to meeting.abc.com?

thanks,

Zak 

ZakBhai

Monday, December 4, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi ZakBhai,

You could use this tool for Skype for Business Online ,based on my reasearch ,if you use the skype for business on-premise ,you cannot use this tool.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:39 AM