Windows 7 32-bit Pro Serial Port Issue (16-bit application) RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP DX 2400 Desktop computer running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. I am having problems establishing a connection via my serial port. I am using an old 16-bit application that runs a liquid handling machine in a lab. I've ensured that latest Oxford Serial/Parallel PCI Card Driver is loaded and everything looks good via the view in Device Manager, but I continue to have problems and receive the following warning: 'Communication port unavailable or ERROR not found.'  I have this same application operating fine on a similar computer (HP DX2250) running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, but no luck with the unit running Win 7 Pro 32-bit.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:57 PM

Answers

• If the two PC are almost identical (both software and hardware installed), create a new account to test.

• Marked as answer by nanomek Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:48 PM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response.  It looks like we figured out what the problem was and is seems it was account related.  We had only 1 account (user) with full priveleges set up on the computer that we were having problems with.  After enabling the administrator account and running as administrator everything worked perfectly.  So this fixes our issue for now and we're operational again, but does anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't work with a user account with full priveleges?  We'd prefer not to 'expose' the administrator account if we can make some changes to the user account to make it work.

Thanks again for the help.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:42 PM
  • I think we figured out the last piece of the puzzle.  In order to make the user account work we needed to change the user account control settings to 'Never Notify to disable UAC'.  Once that change was made and the system was rebooted, the program worked perfectly.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Check the integrated network chip on the motherboard. That chip sits right underneath the pci express card board when you have one installed into it, right near the edge of the motherboard. When I installing the card, it is easily to hit some of the pins on the edge of the integrated network chip so that they were touching each other! I would advise to check that chip out on their computer and see if this is also the case! Fix it using a safety pin to separate the pins away from each other again. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reponse, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.  Let me add a little more info.  We've been troubleshooting this problem and have done a few different things in order to eliminate the possible causes.  First, we took this computer and downgraded the operating system to Windows XP and everything worked fine --- software worked and no issues with the serial port connection.  Then we took an identical computer (purchased 2 of these systems as the same time -- exact same model and config) and loaded Windows 7 Ultimate --- software worked and no issues with the serial port connection.  So we seem to be having an issue only when using Windows 7 Pro.  I guess an easy fix is to use the XP downgrade or purchase another license for Windows 7 Ultimate, but we'd like to figure out what the issue is so that we can address this problem going forward and use Windows 7 Professional.  I'm guessing it's a software issue ... maybe a setting that needs to be modified ... but I'm at a loss as to why it would work perfectly with Win 7 Ultimate and not Win 7 Pro.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:22 PM
  • If the two PC are almost identical (both software and hardware installed), create a new account to test.

Friday, February 26, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response.  It looks like we figured out what the problem was and is seems it was account related.  We had only 1 account (user) with full priveleges set up on the computer that we were having problems with.  After enabling the administrator account and running as administrator everything worked perfectly.  So this fixes our issue for now and we're operational again, but does anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't work with a user account with full priveleges?  We'd prefer not to 'expose' the administrator account if we can make some changes to the user account to make it work.

Thanks again for the help.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:42 PM
  • I think we figured out the last piece of the puzzle.  In order to make the user account work we needed to change the user account control settings to 'Never Notify to disable UAC'.  Once that change was made and the system was rebooted, the program worked perfectly.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:47 PM

• Thank you for your posting back.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:32 AM