SCCM CB 1606 UR1 - How to Trigger the DDR Collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I encountered the following problematic behavior: when the SCCM client is deployed to un-managed computer it takes quite a lot of time (more than 2 hours) in order to collect the heartbeat DDR. The heartbeat DDR does not show for a long period of time even though the Actions and Components tabs on the client are populated and every field except the "Heartbeat DDR" field are populated. Executing all Actions several times does not populate the "Heartbeat DDR" field. Eventually, after several hours this field is getting populated.

Questions:

1. Is it an expected behavior?
    2. What can be done in order to expedite population of the Heartbeat DDR field?
    3. What logs should I watch to monitor the Hearbeat DDR field population progress?

Many thanks for your help, in advance!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:36 AM

Answers

• 1-Yes

2-That is depend on the infrastructure and how many sites you have and how many clients you have? what is discovery schedule is configured? default is 7 days.

3-ddm.log

If you want to know your processing rate, you can see DDRs processed/minute by viewing the SMS Discovery Data Manager counters on the site server. It is important to have a baseline of what is normal in your environment on your hardware as “normal” can be very different based on many variables In situations where the processing rate is low and all other items are good, check event logs and/or hardware diagnostics for disk problems. DDRs are files that contain discovery data in Configuration Manager. They are created when the various discovery methods are run and are then processed on the site server by ddm

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by SinghSharad Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by TracyMt36 Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:47 AM
  • You cannot trigger it as faster or slow. 

all is depend on the schedule and your environment, see my above post

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:57 PM
  • you can find in discovery node in SCCM. 

for more detail how to configure discovery and what is the best practice for discovery see bellow document. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:47 PM

All replies

• 1-Yes

2-That is depend on the infrastructure and how many sites you have and how many clients you have? what is discovery schedule is configured? default is 7 days.

3-ddm.log

If you want to know your processing rate, you can see DDRs processed/minute by viewing the SMS Discovery Data Manager counters on the site server. It is important to have a baseline of what is normal in your environment on your hardware as “normal” can be very different based on many variables In situations where the processing rate is low and all other items are good, check event logs and/or hardware diagnostics for disk problems. DDRs are files that contain discovery data in Configuration Manager. They are created when the various discovery methods are run and are then processed on the site server by ddm

• Edited by SinghSharad Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 4:47 AM
  • Why do you want it to show up faster?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Thank you very much, Sharad and Torsten!

Torsten, there is no specific requirements of showing up the Heartbeat DDR in 15 min or so :) The administrators want to know whether there is a possibility to trigger the Heartbeat DDR to appear faster or at least to see that the Heartbeat DDR is initiated.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:39 PM
  • You cannot trigger it as faster or slow. 

all is depend on the schedule and your environment, see my above post

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Thank you very much, Sharad!

Could you please tell

1. where to configure the schedule? Is it Heartbeat discovery?
    2. how to use the SMS Discovery Data Manager counters?

Thank you very much!

• Edited by TracyMt36 Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:39 PM
  • you can find in discovery node in SCCM. 

for more detail how to configure discovery and what is the best practice for discovery see bellow document. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712308.aspx

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:47 PM