the option to allow the taskbar to be under other windows removal workaround? RRS feed

• Question

• I see that the check box option "keep taskbar on top of other windows" is gone. This will impact my use of Windows as I always had it unchecked. (I used the Windows keyboard key if I wanted to see the taskbar. I know this will also work with autohide.)
    Is there a registry key to bring back the option?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• No, The behavior was changed, by design.

The Misc. forum in this group has a 'comments' thread. You can add your experience, to help the dev team identify problems.

Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 3 - Do not post questions in this thread)

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:38 AM
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Does the "Auto-hide the taskbar" option in the taskbar properties duplicate this functionality adequately?

-Nick
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:37 AM
  • I’m a developer and my use of the taskbar is unusual. I have it set on the right side of the screen, about 2 inches wide and allowed to be under other windows.
    I make it wide so I can read the text on the buttons (usually a file path). I also have about 20 icons displayed in custom toolbars on the taskbar (mostly often used folders and apps) along with 15 icons in the quick launch toolbar.

I use the Windows key to display the task bar when it is under another window, but usually the tool bar is visible (I have a 24 inch monitor with a second monitor).
    Getting the auto hide to work won't work in my environment because the second monitor is to the right of the task bar. The usual method of just moving the mouse to the extreme side of the screen won't work because the mouse will just move to the second monitor.

I will consider it a loss to not have the old "allow to be under other windows" option, but I can get used to it after rearranging my displays.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:05 AM

• What kind of 'by design' is removing a screen display option? I think we need new designers.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:34 PM
  • There's lots of things I don't like about Windows 7 having it installed this morning. I too would like the option to keep the task bar under ALL other windows, I use 2 monitors, and use the left hand one for watching full screen video. It's annoying having it appear and disappear depending how I navigate around my monitors.

Alt & Tab, causes all windows not selected in the tab menu to disappear. Again when watching video this is annoying, is there a way to alter the time you have to be sitting on the window in the tab menu before it blanks out all of the other windows?

Is there an option to disable the taskbar thumbnailing? I only every have a few windows open at a time and don't use grouping so find this function to be annoying. Would it have been difficult to leave all of these options in. I like being able to configure my computer to act how I want it to, not how a designer in Microsoft does!

Obviously if any one knows ways around these issues, I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks,

John
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:23 PM
  • I think "by design" is just an excuse for "this feature is not cool enough for us, lets remove it"
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:15 PM
  •  I like being able to configure my computer to act how I want it to, not how a designer in Microsoft does!

+1 Explorer command bars is my biggest pet peeve.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:16 PM