MSN freezes with windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've recently upgraded my PC to windows 7, everything works fine other than Windows Live Messenger.

Whenever I go to start a webcam coversation Windows Live freezes and I have to restart.

The cam I use is a Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000.

The Windows Live Build i have is 14.0.8

Im using windows 7 Ultimate if that matters.

My Video Card is a ATI Radeon HD 4800 (it doesn't allow me to change the display hardware acceleration as I've heard people suggest this.)

All the drivers are up to date as is my bios.

The webcam works fine in its own program, skype and yahoo.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Monday, April 5, 2010 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the issue only occurs while starting a webcam Windows Live conversation, it seems that there is a conflicts between MSN and the webcam driver. Regarding this scenario, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.       Perform a Clean Boot.

2.       Use Process Monitor and ShellExView to tract the exact cause.

1)      Download ShellExView v1.41

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2)      Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3)      Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4)      Click Next and click Finnish.

5)      Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6)      Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7)      Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8)      Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

I tried the steps above and it half worked.

When I did the clean install I got a windows pop up telling me that 1 of my usb cameras wasn't installed correctly, however the other one was. Problem is I only have 1 camera. After reinstalling it and using the "shexview" program it seemed to have half fixed the problem. My webcam is now viewable on windows live however after starting it I can no longer send messages, the whole conversation box freezes, however my webcam feed stays active. I had to start task manager to be able to close windows live however.

Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:03 PM
  • How about inicializing Windows Live Messenger alone? Does the issue occur? Previously, the issue is relevant to webcam driver and MSN. Since you have reinstalled the webcam driver and it can be viewable now, the remain cause is narrowed down to Windows Live Messenger. Let's try to uninstall MSN completely, then reinstall the latest version.

If the issue persists, you can contact Windows Live Messenger Support team for a specific troubleshooting.

Dale

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

When starting my PC  this morning I was shocked to find that my winrar would no longer extract items. I havent installed anything other than what you told me to do a few days ago and only used my pc since then to check the football scores on the bbc website. Also now no cursor will appear when typing on here for example so to put it bluntly your advice had half ____ my pc.

So I would like to say a big thank you for not only not helping me with my original issue but for giving me another one I am now going to have to sort out.

Heads up to anyone else who may be requesting info from here, watch your selves

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Wired..How did this happen? The above suggestions shouldn't bring this trouble. Anyway, I'm sorry to put you in trouble, I am assuming that the Winrar installation file may be infected while installing the webcam driver. Before going worse, let's perform a System Restore to the previouse point. Otherwise, you need to reinstall WinARA.

Dale

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Don't you think I tried reinstalling winrar? I even downloaded an older version and yet the problem still exists. And your idea of a system restore also failed.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:53 PM
  • No...I was assuming that the WinRAR installation file was corrupt. To let WinRAR run again, you need to reinstall WinRAR. As the issue with Windows Live Messenger, I was short minded, please contact Windows Live Messenger Support team for a specific troubleshooting. Thanks for your understanding.

Dale

Friday, April 9, 2010 1:39 AM
  • "To let WinRAR run again, you need to reinstall WinRAR"

Can't you read? I did that!

Do you give this unhelpful advice to everyone?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:08 PM