none
BizTalk Server 2016 Compatibility with Windows Server 2016 Core RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I found an older post from this forum that confirms that BizTalk Server is not compatible with Windows Server Core:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4447780-7ef9-4e1b-83e1-0657de912fa7/biztalk-server-2009-installation-on-windows-2008r2-core?forum=biztalkgeneral

Can someone please confirm if this is still the case today? I'm trying to install it on a Windows Server 2016 Core Machine and keep getting the following errors on the installers:

Thanks

Harris

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 12:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Harris

Server Core Edition is not meant for any GUI/MMC (which BizTalk needs), as noted here-

" In summary, any GUI applications that depend on either the .NET Framework or on the Explorer.exe shell won't run on Server Core. "

Regarding the "Project Build Component" standalone installer, not sure if it exists. But you can look around in the setup media.

Thanks Arindam

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Harris

Only the following OS are supported with BizTalk Server 2016-

• Windows Server 2016
    • Windows Server 2012 R2
    • Windows 10
    • Windows 8.1

Ref:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/biztalk/install-and-config-guides/hardware-and-software-requirements-for-biztalk-server-2016

Thanks Arindam

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Hi Arindram,

Thanks for the prompt response :).

If I may suggest, it's better to explicitly mention whether it's Windows Server 2016 Desktop Edition or Core Edition.

Also while we're at it, do we have a standalone installer for BizTalk's component "ProjectBuildComponent"?

Regards

Harris

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Hi Harris

Server Core Edition is not meant for any GUI/MMC (which BizTalk needs), as noted here-

" In summary, any GUI applications that depend on either the .NET Framework or on the Explorer.exe shell won't run on Server Core. "

Regarding the "Project Build Component" standalone installer, not sure if it exists. But you can look around in the setup media.

Thanks Arindam

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:57 AM