Office, IE, DFS, App interaction with App-V 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are looking to possibly implement App-v 5.0 into our datacenter for a couple of clients. We had 4.5 a while back and it just didn't work as expected. We need to know a couple of things before we go with 5.0.

1) We have a client who needs Office 32 bit and we run Office 64 bit on the servers for other clients. Can we sequence the 32 bit and not have it conflict with the 64 bit locally installed.

2)  With 4.5 we found issues with getting license etc to sequence for other applications and software, also not interacting with say office that was locally installed. Take for instance Office locally installed not being seen by a sequenced version of Quickbooks vice versa.  We have seen this with several different applications and software has this been addressed?

3) We use DFS and we had to setup a app-v content folder on the dfs server and then hardcode the registry to point to the correct location, is this addressed during the install?

4) Has sequencing IE been implemented? We seen several applications that needed access to IE and for some reason sequencing IE wasn't supported and we had issues with applications trying to interact with the locally installed IE.  We would like to get these answered before implementing App-v 5.0 as a possible solution.

Thanks,
      Shaun

• Edited by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:15 PM descriptive title, made question readable
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:12 PM

Answers

• 1.) I have never had the need to have a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Office on the same machine, only a newer version of office side by side with an older one. It's my preference to deploy office locally to machines rather than as a virtual application. It's very possible that the two versions of office may conflict, as part of the prescriptive guide for sequencing Office is to deploy an MSI which puts some data local on the machine. There's a great guide which can be found: HERE and Microsofts own prescreptive sequencing guide  which can be found HERE

2.) There some help here when using machine targetting using something called RunVirtual, this basically ensures your local application is launched into the virtual environment to allow it to see the virtual application. You can see more about this HERE

3.) This I am not certain of as I have not set it up with a DFS share. I have noticed that you do not require to setup the share though, you simply import the applications from a user readable location rather than configure any setting and it seems to work. I'm not sure if it is covered in here or not but I have just started to read: http://www.appvbook.com/ which has some great comprehensive info for App-V 5.0 infrastructure.

4.) Sequencing IE is still not supported. What issues did you see when trying to sequence apps to the local IE? I have to say I have very rarely had any issues with this. How were you sequencing these? Can you elaborate on the issues? Also revert to the info under 2.) re RunVirtual

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:34 PM

All replies

• 1.) I have never had the need to have a 32-bit and 64-bit version of Office on the same machine, only a newer version of office side by side with an older one. It's my preference to deploy office locally to machines rather than as a virtual application. It's very possible that the two versions of office may conflict, as part of the prescriptive guide for sequencing Office is to deploy an MSI which puts some data local on the machine. There's a great guide which can be found: HERE and Microsofts own prescreptive sequencing guide  which can be found HERE

2.) There some help here when using machine targetting using something called RunVirtual, this basically ensures your local application is launched into the virtual environment to allow it to see the virtual application. You can see more about this HERE

3.) This I am not certain of as I have not set it up with a DFS share. I have noticed that you do not require to setup the share though, you simply import the applications from a user readable location rather than configure any setting and it seems to work. I'm not sure if it is covered in here or not but I have just started to read: http://www.appvbook.com/ which has some great comprehensive info for App-V 5.0 infrastructure.

4.) Sequencing IE is still not supported. What issues did you see when trying to sequence apps to the local IE? I have to say I have very rarely had any issues with this. How were you sequencing these? Can you elaborate on the issues? Also revert to the info under 2.) re RunVirtual

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hi Shaun, were you able to get your situation resolved with the information Rorymon provided?
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:25 PM