Who should be able to edit a Change Request? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a new Change Initiator role from the default one.

I've limited the tasks, views etc. and assigned a group to that role which contains users.

When I create a CR with a user holding that role it is submitted correctly and that user is reflected in the Created By field.  If I try to edit the change request with that user all the fields such as Description, etc are greyed out and cannot be changed.

I tried making the Created By user the AssignedTo/Owner of the CR and still that user cannot edit anything in the CR.

The status of the CR is "In Progress" as there is an manual activity associated with it.  In most cases there would also be a review activity.

As an an administrator I can edit the CR.  So shouldn't the CreatedBy or the AssignedTo/Owner user of the CR be able to edit it after it's been created?

Edit: Also, as the Activity Implementer I am unable to edit any fields in the Manual Activity even though I am also a member of a group that holds the Activity Implementer role.

Edit: Ok, maybe I don't understand the implied permissions correctly. I thought that by default the a CR or Activity could always be edited by the Owner/Creator/AssignedToUser/ActivityImplimenter.  But it seems that the only way to edit a CR or MA after it has been created is if you are a member of the Change Managers role.  Unfortunately that gives you permissions to edit EVERY CR and MA.  At best I could limit that by queue but it is still bad.

If I'm  an AssigntedToUser on an CR, for instance, should I not be able to update the Implementation Results dropdown on the Results tap of the CR?  Because so far it looks like I have to hold the Change Manager role to do this.

As another example, as the Activity Implementer of a MA should I not be able to edit at least the Notes field of the MA?  Again, it looks like I need to be hold the Change Manager Role to do this, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Can anyone out there give any insight?

Thanks

• Edited by JayScovill Monday, October 22, 2012 3:28 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to interpret the User Roles document here.  Under the Change Iniator role, if I am understanding it correctly, it says that role only has Update permissions on the Star Rating.  I'm not even sure what "Star Rating" means?  I don't see that as a field anywhere on a CR.

Also, as an Activity Implementer of a Manual Activity holding the Activity Implementer Role shouldn't I be able to mark an activity I am assigned as complete?  Because as holder of the just the Change Initator role that isn't possible.  I can mark the activity as complete and supply a comment but as soon as I try to save that change to the parent CR I get an access denied.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:57 PM
  • So just to recap my findings,  permissions to Change Request work items is an all or nothing proposition.

With the Change Initiator role you have NO permissions to edit a CR, not even ones you created or are assigned to.

With the Change Manager role you have permissions to EVERY CR and Manual Activity, regardless of who created it or it's assigned to.

Is this right or am I doing something totally wrong? 

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:50 PM
  • I have the same testing result as what you found out:

A user with Change Initiator role could not edit the CR or MA after the CR ticket was created.

A user with Change Mananger role could edit the CR or MA after the CR ticket was created and the user could also approve the RA.

I want to assign a user (which is a normal CR user) who can create/update/close the Change Request and also able to edit the Manual Activity, but he/she cannot approve the Review Activity.

On the other hand, I want to assign a user (which is the CR reviewer) to perform the approval for RA.

It seems that the Change Initiator role is useless and I have to assigned both a normal CR user and the CR reviewer with "Change Managers" role.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:28 AM