Outlook 2016: Shared mailbox display name issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an issue regarding adding shared mailboxes in Outlook 2016. For convenience, let's call my personal e-mail for mypersonal@outlook.com, and the shared mailbox as it-resource@outlook.com. The shared mailbox also has a display name, let's say IT Resources, which is configured in AD.

Problem description

Method 1: If I add it-resource@outlook.com as a new account (via Account Settings -> New), the mailbox shows up in Outlook with the display name "it-resource@outlook.com". When I am inside the shared mailbox, I can easily send and receive e-mail, and the default sender in the "From"-field is "it-resource@outlook.com".  However, I want the display name to automatically be "IT Resources", both when viewing it in Outlook and in the "From"-field. We have several shared mailboxes, all with complex e-mail addresses, and for users who manage several mailboxes at the same time struggle with remembering which e-mail address belongs to what resource. When I try to change the display name in the "General"-tab in Settings for the account, this field is greyed out. 

Method 2: If I add it-resources@outlook.com as an additional mailbox to my personal account (via Account Settings -> highlight mypersonal@outlook.com and click More -> Advanced -> Add), I can search for "IT Resources" and the mailbox shows up. When viewing Outlook, the display name for the shared mailbox is now "IT Resources". However, when I try to send an e-mail within the shared mailbox, the default sender is mypersonal@outlook.com. I have to manually change this every time I want to send an e-mail. Moreover, the "From"-field is not shown by default, so I have to go to Options -> Show "From" every time I send an e-mail. However, now the "From"-field shows the display name, i.e. "IT Resources", and not the e-mail address "it-resources@outlook.com" as for Method 1. 

Question

What I want to achieve is a combination of the two:

1) When I am within the shared mailbox, I want the default sender in the "From"-field to be "IT Resources", and the "From"-field to show up automatically.

2) I want the display name in Outlook to be "IT Resources", not "it-resources@outlook.com" as it is troublesome for users who have access to several shared mailboxes to keep track of which e-mail addresses belong to what resource.

Hope you can help, thanks!

Friday, January 18, 2019 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Frida Berglund,

>>1) When I am within the shared mailbox, I want the default sender in the "From"-field to be "IT Resources", and the "From"-field to show up automatically.

Outlook will use the address assigned to the currently selected mailbox or data file as the default address if it is configured as an account in File, Account Settings. To achieve this, we have to add the shared mailbox to your profile as a mailbox. Please refer to this article for more details.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

>>2) I want the display name in Outlook to be "IT Resources", not "it-resources@outlook.com"

As far as I know, we cannot change the display name of shared mailbox in Folder panel. If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

As a workaround, we can directly add shared mailbox to your profile and use MFCMapi Tool to change the display name in folder Panel. Please check the details in this link.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, January 21, 2019 4:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frida Berglund Monday, January 21, 2019 9:45 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 3:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Frida Berglund,

>>1) When I am within the shared mailbox, I want the default sender in the "From"-field to be "IT Resources", and the "From"-field to show up automatically.

Outlook will use the address assigned to the currently selected mailbox or data file as the default address if it is configured as an account in File, Account Settings. To achieve this, we have to add the shared mailbox to your profile as a mailbox. Please refer to this article for more details.

>>2) I want the display name in Outlook to be "IT Resources", not "it-resources@outlook.com"

As far as I know, we cannot change the display name of shared mailbox in Folder panel. If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

As a workaround, we can directly add shared mailbox to your profile and use MFCMapi Tool to change the display name in folder Panel. Please check the details in this link.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, January 21, 2019 4:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frida Berglund Monday, January 21, 2019 9:45 AM
    Saturday, January 19, 2019 3:21 AM
  • Hi Frida,

it looks like RightFrom add-in for Outlook will fit your requirements.

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:39 AM