none
Project cannot save due to special characters (which are not there!) RRS feed

• Question

• On most occasions when I save the file I get an error message stating that the file name contains special characters and cannot save. Problem is there are no special characters in the file name. I even get the message when 'saving as' an existing file. One example was where the file name is the single letter b and the file already exists. Can anyone help?

Friday, December 2, 2016 9:44 AM

All replies

• Specha,

First of all, what version of Project do you have? Second, is it updated with the latest updates? If no or you're not sure, run Windows Update.

The "special characters" are probably hidden and that's why don't think they are there.

You say, "on most occasions", so does that mean that on some occasions you can save without the message?

Is this issue occurring with just this one file or does it also happen with any file you create? If it's just the one file, then the file may be corrupt. Try saving to XML and then re-open the XML in Project. Note, you will lose any custom formatting with this process.

Can you provide a screen shot of the file name as it appears in the list of documents in Windows Explorer?

John

Friday, December 2, 2016 4:15 PM