6to4 wireless/code 31 error RRS feed

• Question

• I've been unable to detect or connect to any wireless networks for the past week or so; ethernet cable works just fine. Whenever I open up the "connect to" dialogue and ask Windows to diagnose why I can't find any networks, I get the Code 31 error. I've tried updating my 6to4 adapters; they are all up to date, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled them. I'm really not sure what else I can do, and I really need my wireless back.

I'm using an HP Presario F500 with Vista Home Premium. Any suggestions for other things I could try would be much appreciated!
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

As Tiberius said (thank you for your kind words, by the way), I did focus on his wireless issue which is very similar with yours:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3098447&SiteID=17

Both of your computers are HP Presario F500, which faces the problem of wireless network loss and “6to4 adapter” error (code 31). Generally, we can analyze this issue via two steps:

1.    As some unexpected reasons may cause wireless network adapter missing or corrupt, we recommend to reinstall the driver to the most updated one.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3360261&lang=en

Then, you may use the solution I provided in Thread 3098447 for Tiberius to troubleshoot 6to4 adapter error. In his case, this adapter has been fixed and hidden as expect. Based on that, this issue should be something with the wireless network driver itself rather than 6to4 adapter error, as this adapter and the wireless network detection are both related to the wireless network adapter.

2.    In this case, we may need assistance from HP side too. I’ve found a wireless network troubleshooting document in HP website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00813382&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3360261#

I hope this document may give more tips that are specified to this model of computer.

If the steps above both fail to work, I recommend you to contact HP support in your area. As this could be a known issue to this model of computer, an update or fix for wireless network detection is very possibly required. Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:17 AM

All replies

• Welcome to the club! - I have the same problem with the same laptop.

I've done everything you could think of to try and get this sorted - Lionel has been a great help from microsoft.

In the end I tried a system restore, which got rid of the error - but still no wireless - it nows says no wireless device detected. I have tried HP support and the steps they suggested havent worked - so its down to contacting HP service in the UK by phone.

Good luck!

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

As Tiberius said (thank you for your kind words, by the way), I did focus on his wireless issue which is very similar with yours:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3098447&SiteID=17

Both of your computers are HP Presario F500, which faces the problem of wireless network loss and “6to4 adapter” error (code 31). Generally, we can analyze this issue via two steps:

1.    As some unexpected reasons may cause wireless network adapter missing or corrupt, we recommend to reinstall the driver to the most updated one.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3360261&lang=en

Then, you may use the solution I provided in Thread 3098447 for Tiberius to troubleshoot 6to4 adapter error. In his case, this adapter has been fixed and hidden as expect. Based on that, this issue should be something with the wireless network driver itself rather than 6to4 adapter error, as this adapter and the wireless network detection are both related to the wireless network adapter.

2.    In this case, we may need assistance from HP side too. I’ve found a wireless network troubleshooting document in HP website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00813382&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3360261#

I hope this document may give more tips that are specified to this model of computer.

If the steps above both fail to work, I recommend you to contact HP support in your area. As this could be a known issue to this model of computer, an update or fix for wireless network detection is very possibly required. Thanks!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Cheers,

Lionel

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 6:17 AM
  • Thank you so much for your help! My wireless is still acting funky, but thanks to the HP update it's periodically coming back, which is still better than it being consistently down. I really appreciate your help. I thought I'd tried everything. Smile
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:17 PM
  • Hi!

I contacted HP and I'm really impressed with the service from them. They couldnt solve my issue as it seems to be hardware rather than drivers etc, so they are collecting the laptop tomorrow at a time of my choice (within a couple of hours). All this despite myself just being on the edge of my warranty.

Give them a call!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:12 PM