none
IE 11 Security Tab

Question

• Silly question I believe and I hope it belongs here, if not, my apologies.

Security Tab in IE 11 is controlled with registry via GPO. I have some administrators that often test web based solutions for our organization and often need access to the Security Tab - adding Trusted Sites, changing security, making other configuration changes. The reason for this is because we can easily deny requests if we can prove the only way for the solution to work is to make these changes - which are strictly not allowed.

GPO of course enforces the Security Tab, but the past two weeks I've been using psexec to run the following batch file to give them the ability to test foar a short period of time where I then do a gpupdate. 

reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS" /v "SECURITY_ZONES_MAP_EDIT" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000000" /f
    reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS" /v "SECURITY_OPTIONS_EDIT" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000000" /f
    reg.exe add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS" /v "SECURITY_HKLM_ONLY" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000000" /f

reg.exe add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER\CONTROL PANEL" /v "SECURITYTAB" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000000" /f

I have not made any modifications and then starting yesterday this no longer works. The changes are made in registry but the Security Tab is still missing.

Thoughts?

• Edited by noobert87 Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:27 PM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Please run a full system scan and clean up any spyware that it finds to see if it works then.
    In addition, please check if this problem is appearing on the only one machine or affecting the others.
    Here is an article regarding how to restore the security tab in Internet Explorer, you could follow it step by step to have a try again:
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/37495.aspx
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please have a try adding the following registry and try again , you could type the following command in cmd:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer /v Nosecuritytab /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:25 AM
  • Registry changes are successful, but still no Security Tab.
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi,
    Please run a full system scan and clean up any spyware that it finds to see if it works then.
    In addition, please check if this problem is appearing on the only one machine or affecting the others.
    Here is an article regarding how to restore the security tab in Internet Explorer, you could follow it step by step to have a try again:
    http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/37495.aspx
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Monday, July 18, 2016 2:04 AM