none
IE 11.0.9600.17498 Update Version: 11.0.15. After Update Favorites are gone RRS feed

• Question

• After the update\restart, all of the favorites folders still exist, but the actual favorites inside are gone. 

I used the Shadow Explorer tool and was able see that they were there yesterday, but not after the restart.  I was able to recover most using the tool, the favorites bar didn't have a shadow copy for some reason.  What happened to the favorites?  Why were they removed?  Is there an easier, more complete way to recover them?  Windows 8.1 on a Dell Latitude E7440 16gb Ram, 512GB SSD

Monday, December 15, 2014 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In my opinion, this problem probably caused by Microsoft Account sync settings. You can try to disable Web Browser sync for test:

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Scruffeone Friday, January 2, 2015 8:53 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"After the update\restart, all of the favorites folders still exist, but the actual favorites inside are gone. "

are you sure?

assuming you are on a domain network,

type
    shell:favorites (shell:favorites\links to open the favorites bar folder)

in the IE address bar to open up Windows Explorer at your network favorites folder.... I would expect that it is mapped to a shared drive... G:

If not consult with your network administrators to confirm that your machine is making the share to the network folder on boot.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:57 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Rob. 

My favorites are in the default location and I am the network admin.  As I indicated, the folders for the favorites exist where they are supposed to, but the actual favorites (shortcuts) are missing from the folders.

There were hundreds of bookmarks in these folders prior to the update, now they are all gone. 

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:11 PM
  • @Rob: Coincidence or...? => https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/34c8139e-9789-4031-8b32-a9fbb406db14/favorites-bar-deleting-links-?forum=ieitprocurrentver

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:16 PM
  • Hi,

what do you see if you open a dos prompt at the Favorites location?

dir *.url or dir *.*

from my Windows explorer (shell:favorites ) I can see the favourite links (.url files), but the extension is not shown.I expect, but do not see the .url extensions in the file names... I have Options>Show file extensions of known file types checked in Options>View.....

Back in IE, assuming that you have Internet Options>Content tab, Autocomplete Settings button, Address bar.... Favorites checked... (do you also have 'Use windows search for better results checked') do you see suggestions from the favorites folders in the Address bar dropdown?

(I would be guessing that somehow folder indexing is out of sync).

@Robear - Shadow explorer or any other third party tool involved? possibly a .dat file has been nuked?

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:22 AM
  • Thank you for all of your responses.  this is weird, but one day after I mentioned this issue here, all of my bookmarks have magically re-appeared:

All of the folders that were once empty, are now chock full of bookmarks.  I'm very happy about this and have immediately backed them up, however, I'm still at al loss as to what happened to them. It's a Holiday Miracle! lol.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:22 PM
  • This is getting a bit ridiculous.  This morning I look at my favorites and I see this:

All of the favorites are gone again.  What is causing this? 

Friday, December 19, 2014 12:14 PM
  • This is getting a bit ridiculous.  This morning I look at my favorites and...All of the favorites are gone again.

Do you use (sign in to) the same Microsoft account on one or more other devices (e.g., computer; tablet; phone)?

Were you seeing this behavior before KB3008923 was installed?

Did you recently install Win8.1?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Friday, December 19, 2014 7:11 PM
  • I sign into the same account on two identical laptops, one in the office and one at my house.  I think that KB3008923 was installed on the 15th, which is about the time that this started.  Win 8.1 has been installed for about 2 months now. 
    Friday, December 19, 2014 8:39 PM
  • I sign into the same account on two identical laptops, one in the office and one at my house.
    Are you seeing the behavior on both laptops or...?

Friday, December 19, 2014 10:01 PM
  • Yes, I'm seeing it on both.  the exact same behavior. 
    Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Did you upgrade (e.g., from Win7) either laptop to Win8 or to Win8.1?

Did you ever backup your Favorites and then restore the backup on or transfer the backup to either computer?

Does the computer at your home belong to you or your employer? How about the computer at work?

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:28 PM
  • No upgrades

Not a restore, I do have them backed up now tho.

These are my computers.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:33 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, this problem probably caused by Microsoft Account sync settings. You can try to disable Web Browser sync for test:

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Scruffeone Friday, January 2, 2015 8:53 PM
    Monday, December 29, 2014 6:21 AM
  • While I agree that the sync'ing has something to do with this, it doesn't really explain why the favorites are disappearing then reappearing then disappearing again. after turning off the sync settings, I repopulated the favorites from my backup on each system then turned sync'ing back on, and they disappeared again. I turned it off, repopulated them again, this time leaving it off and so far they are still there after about a week. there has to be something (empty) in the middle someplace.  I can only assume that there is another machine out there with my account info in it that I don't know about.  Is there any way to determine that?   
    Friday, January 2, 2015 8:53 PM