MOSS SharePoint 2007 mysite documents not appearing in search results RRS feed

• Question

• I have a _few_ mysite users who report that attempts to search for results on their mysite pages return no results. However, other users have no problem with their mysites, in the same site collection.

One thing that is in common for the users who have reported the problem is that the URL of their mysite includes a login id that is no longer the current one for the user. After a recent department change, a number of users were given new logins.

When I check the server's event log, I see this event appear during the crawl:

The crawler could not communicate with the server. Check that the server is available and that the firewall access is configured correctly..

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
    Event Category: Web Event
    Event ID: 1309
    Date:  12/15/2010
    Time:  8:59:42 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MYSRV45
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 12/15/2010 8:59:42 AM
    Event time (UTC): 12/15/2010 1:59:42 PM
    Event ID: b324c3c2c8464c46b7cabbe73c5ff560
    Event sequence: 24076
    Event occurrence: 1921
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/956111699/Root-1-129368728696994559
        Trust level: WSS_Minimal
        Application Virtual Path: /
        Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\
        Machine name: MYSRV45

Process information:
        Process ID: 6908
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: ourDomain\sa_sps

Exception information:
        Exception type: SPException
        Exception message: User not found.

Request information:
        Request URL: http://ourSP/MySite/Person.aspx?accountname=CASb324c3c2c8464c46b7cabbe73c5ff560Cmbs84&PortalUrl=http12/15/2010 8:59:42 AMAAn unhandled exception has occurred.FAn unhandled exception has occurred.FcasportAn unhandled exception has occurred.FpersonalAn unhandled exception has occurred.Fmbs84An unhandled exception has occurred.FdefaultAn unhandled exception has occurred.Easpx&Public=1
        Request path: /MySite/Person.aspx
        User host address: 134.243.95.45
        User: ourDomain\sa_sps
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: NTLM
        Thread account name: ourDomain\sa_sps

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 20
        Thread account name: ourDomain\sa_sps
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.ProfilePropertyLoader.OnInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I look in the crawl log, I see this entry for the person's mysite:

The crawler could not communicate with the server. Check that the server is available and that the firewall access is configured correctly..

So, I am wondering. 

1. Does this sound like an issue due to the login change?

2. Is there some action that needs to be taken after users have changed logins so that the mysite URL reflects the new login?

3. If this does not seem like it is related to the login change, what would be the next step in identifying a solution for the problem?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:32 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

yes, that is by design and Microsoft need to come out with better/easy administration for My Site as you said above.

I suggest you create a script in order to do the Backup and Restore Mysite to make it more manageable.

Cheers

Haizam

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:30 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:13 AM

All replies

• 1. Does this sound like an issue due to the login change?
        I believe Yes

2. Is there some action that needs to be taken after users have changed logins so that the mysite URL reflects the new login?
        You need to backup and restore mySite individually

3. If this does not seem like it is related to the login change, what would be the next step in identifying a solution for the problem?
       does the user still can accessing the mysite after login change? If yes, please check if the user has at least readonly on the documents.
       If no, then you need to perform backup and restore.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:46 AM
  • I'm confused - and a bit concerned. So each time any user changes a login, the admin needs to backup the user's mysite, and then restore it to the new login?

And when there are 70+ users changing, all have to be backed up and restored?

Are there any tools or utilities out there that attempt to automate this?

The user still has read access to the mysite doc libraries.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Ivirden,

It depend what change on the login for example, if the user change the domain( from ABC\user to FGH\user) definitely the backup and restore is needed as it is like a new user account. 

Maybe you can details out what change on login occur at your site. this will help to understand the real problem.

When you said below. does that mean the user(new login) is using the same mysite as previous OR they have new mysite??

"The user still has read access to the mysite doc libraries."

If it is, then you need to make sure the profile sync and incremental crawl successfully crawled this. I believe the best is run FULL crawl

If me i would go as below

1. confirm all 70+ users has the same problem or only a few user

2. Does the affected users has a new mysite?

3. Make sure all the user has the readonly ( at least ) to the documents

4. Make sure full crawl is executed and check crawl log

5. Make sure the profile sync is successful by confirm it at SSP user profile details

That's all I can think off right now ;)

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:43 AM
  • The current logins assigned to users are their initials followed by their department number.

So we weekly have users changing logins, because of marriages, divorces, name changes, or transfers between departments.

The user that I have been trying to help had bookmarked a couple of her SharePoint lists into which she had put reference information.  After her login changed from abc84 to abc93, she found that she could go to the bookmarked page, but when she attempted to search, the search failed.

Since my post, I have discovered that the old user profile (for abc84) has been deleted (now that the login no longer exists). So I went into Central Admin and changed the site administrator for that mysite to abc93 - the user's new login.  As the day progressed, the crawler was able once again to process the mysite.

Unfortunately, the mysite still says ourthings.net/personal/abc84/default.aspx instead of abc93, and I know that I could backup the site, delete the original site, then restore the site to a new name.  That, however, would take quite a long time for the entire group of users. 

It would be nice if sharepoint had an out of the box admin gui where I could provide old and new logins and sharepoint took care of moving permissions, renaming mysite, etc.

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Hi, 

yes, that is by design and Microsoft need to come out with better/easy administration for My Site as you said above.

I suggest you create a script in order to do the Backup and Restore Mysite to make it more manageable.

Cheers

Haizam

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:30 AM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Hello,

I have the exact same events in my Event Log, however, it has nothing to do with login changes.

The issue appeared last week when I migrated all the My Site collections, to a new database inside the same web app (using STSADM -o mergecontentdbs). The operation completed successfully and a reboot was performed later that night.

The next day I started seeing these error on very specific users: they are no longer employed here, they no longer have a My Site, they no longer have a User Profile. But the error is identical. It seems that the crawler still believes there is something to be crawled agains these users.

Is there any way I can clean things up?

Thanks for any insight.

---- [Edit]----

I have to thank Ivirden because his/her last post pointed me in the right direction. In my case, since these were no longer with the Compagny, I proceded to delete their site collection.

• Edited by JoSevigny Monday, February 20, 2012 4:44 PM Found solution
    Monday, February 20, 2012 4:33 PM