none
DPM disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2007 server with a mirrored OS and 4 non raid SATA drives for data. I also have the same setup for another DPM server at another site that backs up everthing on my 1st DPM server with one protection group. I had a failed hard drive on the first DPM server on one of the data hard drives. I replaced the drive and had to delete and recreate the protection groups that were affected on the server. I know have the issue of what to do with the secondary DPM server. It can not sync with some of the files and folders on the  1st dpm server because of its failed drive. I do not want to lose all of the data retention I have on the backup dpm server. Is there anyway to keep the data on the storage group without having to delete it? I don't think I can create another protection group without deleting that replica first. Any ideas on what I can do???? Thx..

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The correct way to recover from your original loss should have been to simply replace the faulty disk, add the new replacement disk to the dpm storage pool, then run the DPMSYNC -Reallocatereplica  command.  That would have recreated the missing volumes that were hosted on the faulty drive.   If some volumes were spanned and part were on the bad drive and other parts on the drives that were still good, you could have simply deleted the failed volumes in disk management before running the DPMSYNC command.

What you can try doing is removing the data sources from secondary protection that you cannot sync and choose the option to retain the replica data, then try re-protecting the same data sources again.  DPM will either re-use the inactive replicas again, or will create new ones, you can restore from the inactive if needed until new rp's get created.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:16 PM