none
Font uninstallation issue :windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and windows 7 Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to install fonts(.ttf/.otf) on windows 7 Enterprise SP1 operating system.

(Font name:"Font Awesome")

It got installed successfully,however,its not getting uninstalled.

I  tried removing the registry  (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts) and then tried to delete fonts file but it throws error that file is in use by system.(system reboot is required to remove those file after removing registry)

Also, i am able to replicate this on different machine having win 7 enterprise SP1.

However, We are successfully able to install and uninstall on windows 7 Enterprise(no service pack) operating system.

What are the possible difference in win 7 and win 7 SP1 operating system which causing this issue?

• Edited by vivekjazzwal Saturday, November 28, 2015 1:35 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2015 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi vivekjazzwal,

You are right. If we copy font to C:\Windows\Font, it will be installed automatically.

If you want to delete it, please make sure the font is not using, you could right click font in C:\Windows\Font, then choose “delete”.

In addition, please post the error when you delete font.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:00 AM

All replies

• Have you tried removing the font in Safe Mode?

Additionally, check with Process Monitor to find and kill the process that is using the font file. Refer the link for more information:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

Location of the font files is C:\Windows\Fonts

Balaji Kundalam

Monday, November 30, 2015 3:48 AM
  • Hi vivekjazzwal,

Thank you for your question.

As I concerned, we could uninstall it without any problems, we could refer to the following steps to check if the issue persist:

1. We could refer to the following link to make sure this font is not in use: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-fonts#1TC=windows-7
    2. Then restart the PC to check if the specific font could be uninstalled

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:15 AM
  • Actually, i am keeping font files(.ttf/.otf) in my app install directory to use further in browsers.

So,while removing those file in windows 7 Enterprise SP1, its not getting deleted because registry entry is created automatically for font (specifying Install directory path for font file in registry).

However, in win 7 enterprise, i am able to delete successfully because there is no registry entry created for that.

So, is this behaviour of windows 7 Enterprise SP1 that by just copying font file any location, it will be installed automatically??

Monday, November 30, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Service Pack is a set of fixes/updates for some vulnerabilities and stability issues that is present in Windows. It doesn't change the functionality of the operating system. However, some minor features differ with build, but system level changes are not present with different build numbers.

Did you try finding the program that is using the font file? If you can, close/terminate the program and then try removing the font.

Additionally, if a font is present inside an application folder only, no registry entry is created. If it's installed, a registry entry is created.

If the issue still persists, the following link may be helpful:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/delete-fonts-using-windows-registry/

Balaji Kundalam

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:48 AM
  • Hi vivekjazzwal,

You are right. If we copy font to C:\Windows\Font, it will be installed automatically.

If you want to delete it, please make sure the font is not using, you could right click font in C:\Windows\Font, then choose “delete”.

In addition, please post the error when you delete font.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:00 AM
  • Sorry for late reply..!!

error message was like "file is in use by system".

So, i can't stop system process.

i used process explorer tool too for checking if any other program is using,However,none of the processes were using those files.

Just one different behaviour observed was that while copying fonts files only to my app directory(not in c:\windows\fonts),registry entry created for that with font location.

Also, the font files which i am deleting , its in my application install directory ..not in c:/windows/fonts folder

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:56 AM
  • Vivek,

You can try the following:

1. Check the file permissions. If you notice a different owner/permission, acquire ownership. Additionally check for the permissions of the parent folder. Refer the link for more information:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc753659.aspx

2. If the permissions are good, perform clean boot and then try deleting the font. Refer the link for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

3. If clean boot also fails to solve the issue, try deleting the font in Safe Mode. Refer the link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 4:21 PM