none
Group policy preference for creating printers setting the wrong printer as default

Question

• Hi

We have a a group policy preference applied to users.  At the moment we create a shared printer and set it as default for all users in a specific OU.  Now we need to add another shared printer.  I have updated the policy and set it to create the new shared printer and have set item level targeting to the same OU as the first printer.  I want to keep the existing printer as the default, however when the policy runs, the new printer is created fine but it is set as the default printer.  Is this because it has been added last ?  There doesn't seem to be a way of changing the order that the printers are applied.

Both printers are Shared printers and are set to Create

The existing printer (printer A) is set as the default printer.  It is targeted at the London OU.

The new printer (printer B) has NOT been set as default.  It is targeted at the London OU.

No other options have been set.

When the policy is applied both printers are added but printer B is being set as the default.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

G

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi G,

>>however when the policy runs, the new printer is created fine but it is set as the default printer.  Is this because it has been added last ?  There doesn't seem to be a way of changing the order that the printers are applied.

Before going further, what's the operating systems of our clients? Here, I need to double confirm that the checkbox of Set this printer as the default printer... is not selected in the new GPP Printer item. Besides, we can change the orders of the printer items. To do this, select the printer item, right click, click All Tasks, and choose Move Up or Move Down to change the order.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Hi Frank

Thanks for your reply.  The client OS is Windows 7.  The check box for Set the printer as the default printer is NOT set.  When I did further testing it appeared that only new profiles had the issue where the new printer was being set as the default printer so I changed the policy.

It turns out that a number of people (who had existing profiles) got the new printer set as default while other didn't.  There doesn't seem to be any logic as to whether the new printer gets set as default or not.

Thanks

Monday, March 02, 2015 10:05 PM