Quickbooks PDF converter won't work with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Now I can't email invoices or save my invoices via "Save as PDF" in Quickbooks.  I've researched it online and it seems to be a known problem with other W7 but no solution from QBs.  Found some user solutions about PDF converter problem but none work.

Was working fine before upgrade.  Here's the Quickbooks error I get:

Printer not activated, error code - 20;

then I press Ok and get:

Could not print to printer.  Check your printer selection.  Printing may have been canceled from another program.

then I press Ok and get:

Problem
    Your forms were not sent b/c QB could not create the necessary PDF files.
    Solution
    You should be able to solve this problem by exiting and restarting QB, and then sedning the forms again.  For more information, click Help.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:29 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Sculley,Dash3172

Thanks for the post.

Since Quickbooks was working fine in Vista,it should also work reliably on Windows 7.

However, you may like to follow these steps.

1. Right click on your quickbooks startup exe file and open properties.
    2. On the compatibility tab select compatibility mode and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
    3. On privilege level check "Run this program as administrator". Press Apply/OK to close properties.
    4. Start - Devices and Printers - add a printer - add a local printer - create a new port - local port and name it QBD_PDF.
    5. Choose to install AMYUNI Technologies - Amyuni Document Converter 300 (click windows update button if it is not on your list).
    6. If windows detects you already have a driver then choose to replace current driver. Name the printer Quickbooks PDF Converter - do not share printer - do NOT set as default printer. Finish
    7. Start - Devices and Printers - Right click your QB printer, choose Printer - Properties and go to the advanced tab.
    8. Remove any check marks in the 4 items with square boxes next to them (bottom part of screen) then select "Print directly to the printer" Hit OK to close the window.
    9. Restart you computer and open Quickbooks. Open File - Printer Setup and make sure Quickbooks PDF Converter is the selected printer for any PDF operation you use    frequently. (on rare occasions you may not see the Quickbooks PDF Converter on the list, reboot again and you will get it).

You can now perform PDF operations in Quickbooks (works for 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 RC)

You may also like to go through
    http://fardonwebhosting.com/blog/?p=113
    http://blog.neuroncomputers.com/2008/10/18/quickbooks-pro-2009-windows-vista-64-bit-printing-problem/

Hope this helps

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information

========= "Mark this as answer,if it really helps" =========
    • Proposed as answer by Shanadas Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shanadas Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:27 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Hello Sculley,

1.    If the application can be working well in Windows Vista OS, we might right-click the executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try running the application via Run as administrator.

2.    If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise version, please download and install Windows 7 Windows XP Mode and test the application in the virtual PC.

3.    Contact QuickBooks vendor/ support to upgrade the software to the latest version compatible with Windows 7.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:15 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:31 AM

All replies

• It don't work I have been trying for over a week and even took it to the Geek Squad, they could not fix it. I'm beeing told I have to buy the latest quick books version $400 This is turning into a black hole. I bought the new windows 7 thinking it's going to make things better and now nothing works right.
    I'm having problems with videos not playing and a alarm from the monitor going off. What a Waist of money. Maybe we should have bought a Apple.
    • Proposed as answer by Chevelle427 Monday, November 9, 2009 12:55 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Hello Sculley,

1.    If the application can be working well in Windows Vista OS, we might right-click the executable/installer file -> Properties and select the Compatibility tab; click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility mode for option and select Windows Vista in the list-down box; then try running the application via Run as administrator.

2.    If you are using Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise version, please download and install Windows 7 Windows XP Mode and test the application in the virtual PC.

3.    Contact QuickBooks vendor/ support to upgrade the software to the latest version compatible with Windows 7.

Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:15 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Thanks Andy.  I use Windows Home edition.  Where is the install file so I can right-click it?

Also.....my understanding was that MS said that they were guaranteeing that everything would work with Windows 7 that worked with Vista.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:33 PM
  • Have a look at the following link - I think that there might be something useful :

http://community.intuit.com/post/detail/bZ9_M8tYSqllvkab8P4pmk
    Regards Picsoe
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:59 PM
  • Thanks.  I actually found that before posting here and followed all the steps.  Even the steps in the comments and for some reason, it still won't work.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Monday, November 9, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Yes....but didn't try b/c too complicated.  Which do I follow?  XP?  Vista/XP?  Which one?

Also, I tried the whole process again here http://community.intuit.com/post/detail/bZ9_M8tYSqllvkab8P4pmk and now I can't even Print an invoice!  I could before.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Wait, made my regular printer default printer and now I can print.

So, when I follow the directions on your second link, https://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/1008463 , I don't get these options:
    1. Amyuni Document Converter 2.07
    2. Amyuni Document Converter 2.50
    And the rest of the directions are included in the first link above.  I just tried them again.  Still not working.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:26 PM
  • I have spent 7 hours on the phone with Quickbooks and still do not have it resolved.  I have been escelated to Level 3 service and am watiing for a call.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Quickbooks PRO 2010

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Hi Sculley,Dash3172

Thanks for the post.

Since Quickbooks was working fine in Vista,it should also work reliably on Windows 7.

However, you may like to follow these steps.

1. Right click on your quickbooks startup exe file and open properties.
    2. On the compatibility tab select compatibility mode and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (Service Pack 2).
    3. On privilege level check "Run this program as administrator". Press Apply/OK to close properties.
    4. Start - Devices and Printers - add a printer - add a local printer - create a new port - local port and name it QBD_PDF.
    5. Choose to install AMYUNI Technologies - Amyuni Document Converter 300 (click windows update button if it is not on your list).
    6. If windows detects you already have a driver then choose to replace current driver. Name the printer Quickbooks PDF Converter - do not share printer - do NOT set as default printer. Finish
    7. Start - Devices and Printers - Right click your QB printer, choose Printer - Properties and go to the advanced tab.
    8. Remove any check marks in the 4 items with square boxes next to them (bottom part of screen) then select "Print directly to the printer" Hit OK to close the window.
    9. Restart you computer and open Quickbooks. Open File - Printer Setup and make sure Quickbooks PDF Converter is the selected printer for any PDF operation you use    frequently. (on rare occasions you may not see the Quickbooks PDF Converter on the list, reboot again and you will get it).

You can now perform PDF operations in Quickbooks (works for 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 RC)

You may also like to go through
    http://fardonwebhosting.com/blog/?p=113
    http://blog.neuroncomputers.com/2008/10/18/quickbooks-pro-2009-windows-vista-64-bit-printing-problem/

Hope this helps

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information

========= "Mark this as answer,if it really helps" =========
    • Proposed as answer by Shanadas Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shanadas Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:27 PM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:27 AM
  • 7. Start - Devices and Printers - Right click your QB printer, choose Printer - Properties and go to the advanced tab.
    Hi Shanadas...

Just a quick line to say that this DOES work, but if you have CutePDF onboard as well, you also have to change the printer properties in the CutePDF device as well as any and all Amyuni (as shown above), as well as changing the default (WITHIN QB) printer to CutePDF Writer on CDW2.

I ran through your directions, and I was able to print one item before it choked up again.  After fiddling with properties and settings for a while, and running between two Win7 computers (one it worked on, and mine, which it didn't) I figured out the CutePDF solution. :)

Once I set the CutePDF as "print directly to the printer", and made it the default (within QB, NOT on the computer) printer as well, it all worked wonderfully.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

kim

p.s. I'm using Win7 Professional, 64bit.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 1:11 AM
  • Thanks so much for posting this!

I didn't mess with the compatibility mode, but followed your other steps, created a new port and rebooted. The Quickbooks PDF converter finally appeared in the Printer Setup dialog box in Quickbooks, and I was able to use Save as PDF. I'd been using Print and the Adobe PDF print driver, but it was making me crazy that I couldn't get Save as PDF to work on my new Windows 7 64 bit machine when it worked fine on my 32 bit laptop.

Please accept a huge box of virtual chocolates as thanks.

Jenny.

Monday, November 29, 2010 8:39 PM