Windows7 installation with keeping previous files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, it seems to be an awkward problem i'm having. I've recently acquired a copy of windows 7 pro via microsoft's academic alliance and have a vast amount of data to preserve.

i'm currently running a copy of XP pro on a single partition 1tb hdd. i was wondering if it was possible to create a blank partition during the windows 7 installation which i could then boot back into xp and transfer the files across then format the xp partition. the main problem being: backing-up isn't an option.

is there a way of doing this or something similar?

Cheers,

J

Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:13 AM

All replies

• You cannot split partitions without formatting. You MIGHT be able to install Windows 7 over your current partition if it's NTFS without formatting / erasing the data on the hard drive. (I've never attempted this with Windows 7 but done it with XP) I would recommend removing passwords from your Windows XP profiles first though so you dont run into permissions issues as you probobly wont be able to boot to XP ever again.

other option is to of course borrow an external hard drive and backup first.... hope this helps anyway

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:31 AM
  • You can launch diskmgmt.msc in Windows XP and shrink the whole partition and create a new partition. Then you can move data to another partition and then format and install Windows 7 on the empty partition.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, May 28, 2010 5:30 AM