none
DPM 2010 - BMR is not honoring bandwidth throttling RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I am experiencing a weird issue in our environment. We have an Exchange 2010 server (SP1) running on W2K8 R2. We have setup backup for mailbox as well as BMR and set bandwidth limit of 1 Mbps throughout the day. The mailbox sync will happen once per hour and the full back up is set to happen at 8:00 PM. During the mailbox sync it is just taking 1 Mbps. However for BMR Express Full backup it goes upto 50 Mbps and stays there till the backup completes. I removed the BMR & system state. The mailbox Full Express backup is utilizing only 1 Mbps. If I enable only system state it still remains within 1 Mbps. 

I have tested BMR backup of another server running on W2K8 R2. The bandwidth is shooting high there too. Both of these servers are hyper-v machines. Any suggestions?

Krish

Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hello,

DPM controls turning QOS on and the OS takes it from there. QOS is not a garuantee that you will always get "x" amount of bandwidth but rather a negotiation.

Questions:
    1.) Is the BMR for the same server or another server?
    2.) If you look at the MSDPMCurr.errlog what do you see as the negotiaged QoS settings?

Example:

[4]<PID>.4124 07/08/2010-18:35:38.332 [ENGINE cc_base.cpp@1040] Created Socket with Family: 2, QoS Index: 5
    [3]<PID>.4124 07/08/2010-18:35:38.391 [ENGINE endpoint.cpp@422] DM: EndPoint successfully created using port#5718

Note the QoS port number 5718.

Side notes:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728211(WS.10).aspx
    All the network elements along the path that prioritized traffic takes must support QoS. Such network elements include the sending and receiving hosts, Layer 2 (Data Link layer) network devices (bridges and switches), and Layer 3 (Network layer) network devices (routers), including routers used for wide area network (WAN) links. If a network device along this path does not support QoS, the traffic flow receives the standard first-come, first-served treatment on that network segment.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.02.cableguy.aspx
    Most modern enterprise routers support DSCP traffic differentiation, but it is typically disabled by default. During forwarding, DSCP-capable routers read the DSCP value and place the packet into a specific queue.

Thanks
    Shane

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:19 PM