none
User wanted to know if a person can be allowed to access only one workplan in the whole instance RRS feed

• Question

• Is this possible to allow a person to access, open and edit the only one work plan.

I understand this cannot be done.

The reason behind what I concluded is following:

In order for us to allow a person to be able to open and edit a work-plan we need to add him to any of the following security groups: Project Manager, Team Member, Administrator.

I understand if I add a person to any of the aforementioned security groups, that person will be able to access all the work plans in the instance.

I am looking for some help to understand how I can allow a certain person to access only certain work-plans and not all.

Is this right -

Even if I am an "administrator" I cannot see a plan, in whose 'Enterprise Resource Pool', I am not present?

Thanks,

Ankit Jain

• Edited by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:53 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:44 AM

Answers

• Hi, if you are using project server 2010 or 2013, you can actually give access to a single project using the Project Permission available in the Project Center. Check this link http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/03/04/project-2010-project-permissions.aspx

Regards, 

Fabrizio.

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:40 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know if my answer will help you but, in my case, if I am adminsitrator then I can see and I can edit all projects (Project plan, Project site and project Workflow), if I am a Project Manager and I have been given permission for edition or I have been included as a resource in the project then I can edit the concerned project, if I am a Team Member and I have been included as a resource in the project then I can include tasks in my timesheet of this project, but I'm not able neither to edit the project plan nor to open the project in project professional.

So, if you define this user as Project Manager and only give permission to that project, or include him as a resource in that project, and not in anyother else, probably you will get what you are looking for.

Regards,

José Espases

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Ankit --

Yes, what you want to do can definitely be done.  You would need to do several things:

1. Create a custom Category that gives access to only this one project.
    2. Create a custom Group that is a copy of the permissions set in the Project Managers group, but include ONLY the custom Category in this group.
    3. Add the project manager in question to this group and then remove the project manager in question from all other security Groups.  DO NOT include him/her in the Project Managers group.

By doing this, you will grant this one user project manager permissions, while allowing him/her to only open and edit a single project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:34 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Forum Friends any help please..

:(

Thank you so much in advance.

Dale sir! Where are you? I did not see any post from you for a very long time.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi, if you are using project server 2010 or 2013, you can actually give access to a single project using the Project Permission available in the Project Center. Check this link http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/03/04/project-2010-project-permissions.aspx

Regards, 

Fabrizio.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I don't know if my answer will help you but, in my case, if I am adminsitrator then I can see and I can edit all projects (Project plan, Project site and project Workflow), if I am a Project Manager and I have been given permission for edition or I have been included as a resource in the project then I can edit the concerned project, if I am a Team Member and I have been included as a resource in the project then I can include tasks in my timesheet of this project, but I'm not able neither to edit the project plan nor to open the project in project professional.

So, if you define this user as Project Manager and only give permission to that project, or include him as a resource in that project, and not in anyother else, probably you will get what you are looking for.

Regards,

José Espases

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:34 AM
  • superb, thank you, i will check this.
    • Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:37 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Ankit --

Yes, what you want to do can definitely be done.  You would need to do several things:

1. Create a custom Category that gives access to only this one project.
    2. Create a custom Group that is a copy of the permissions set in the Project Managers group, but include ONLY the custom Category in this group.
    3. Add the project manager in question to this group and then remove the project manager in question from all other security Groups.  DO NOT include him/her in the Project Managers group.

By doing this, you will grant this one user project manager permissions, while allowing him/her to only open and edit a single project.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:34 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Thank you Dale sir. I was really missing your posts. Please help me on few of my other questions as well. Thanks a lot.
    • Marked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MSP-Learner Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:39 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:34 PM