DRMInitEnvironment error 0x8004cf00 (E_DRM_INVALID_LICENSE) in SDK offline publishing sample code -- Do i need to setup the pre-production hierarchy? RRS feed

• Question

• a) Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise Hyper-V with three VMs, one each for: DC, ADRMS, Client with Office 2007 Ultimate

b) When I use MS Word 2007 from the client machine, I am able to access AD-RMS functionality

c) I am using a self signed ADRMS SSL certificate

d) I did not think that pre-production hierarchy was warranted for this solution, hence the server is running in a production hierarchy.

e) I was getting user activation error: DRM_MSG_ACTIVATE_GROUP_IDENTITY / S_DRM_CONNECTING. After I changed the code in DoUserActivation to work in a non-silent and temporary modes my user activation problems were solved.

f) Now, the code successfully is able to activate machine, user, and create a client licensor certificate, but fails in the DRMInitEnvironment step.

g) I had updated the private and public key values in the offlinepublishing.mcf file to point to the keys provided by the OfficeFormatProtectors (http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/OfficeProtectors) sample code to following:

AUTO-GUID
    %DRMTOOLSDIR%\\isvtier5appsigningprivkey.dat

MODULELIST
                REQ HASH OfflinePublishing.exe
                REQ NOHASH %SYSTEMROOT%\\system32\\msdrm.dll

POLICYLIST
                INCLUSION
            PUBLICKEY %DRMTOOLSDIR%\\isvtier5appsigningpubkey.dat
                EXCLUSION

h) Am using the manifest file: x64\Release\offlinepublishing.exe.intermediate.manifest

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• The answer is yes! the pre-production hierarchy is needed to be setup...
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Hi Raj,

I am also trying to develop an rms app . i have the following setup

win2k8 - rms server , win2k3 - DC , win7 - rms client development machine , win2k3 - sql database

the below points as posted by u are true for me too.

b) When I use MS Word 2007 from the client machine, I am able to access AD-RMS functionality

c) I am using a self signed ADRMS SSL certificate

d) I did not think that pre-production hierarchy was warranted for this solution, hence the server is running in a production hierarchy.

Now hile development i changed the registry in rms sevrer to bring it to pre-production but it seems as per the documentation the registry settings should be changed before the installation of rms server if the machine is win2k8 .

I am trying to debug the sample code for useractivation. While activating the user i am getting error as "E_DRM_NEEDS_MACHINE_ACTIVATION".

But the surprising part is that machine is activated. I have checked that machine cert is getting generated. I have a feeling that i mayy need to reinstall the rms server and bring it to pre - production hiearchy. Just by changing the registry now is not working??

your opinion on this will be helpful

Thnaks,

Alok

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:20 AM