none
DPM 2012 Bare Metal Recovery on VMWare Guest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello...

I'm currently trying to do a DPM 2012 Bare Metal Recovery to a VMWare guest. I have my image from DPM 2012 located on a network share. When booting the VMWare guest to a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 CD, I click on Repair Your Computer and go through the steps to select the location of where the image resides. When I click "Advanced" and specify the share location, it fails on me. I believe the reason its failing is because there isn't a network driver loaded?!?! 

Has anyone tried doing this before? Do I need to pre-load a network driver? 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :) 

Thanks... Frank

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

Ignore my post above, though it would work. A better way is to add a E1000 nic to the VM (windows detects this). You need to have this as the first nic on the VM. I usually remove all NICs first, then add the E1000.

Once the restore is done, remove the E1000 and add VMXNET3 nics

Cheers

Steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:01 PM
  • This isn't too hard. WinPE has functions for injecting NIC drivers and this is what you need to do. The absolutely easiest way to do the injection is actually to download a copy of MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit), as it has a GUI that lets you inject drivers and do all sorts of customizations of the PE image. There are tons of tutorials on how to load the VMware NIC drivers to a WinPE image, and the wizards also allows you to generate a "General ISO" which is what you want to use in this case. You could also preload it so that it auto-maps the DPM network share if you want to. Let me know if you need the detailed steps - we are in the process of implementing DPM ourselfes so I could write up a short blog post about this if you want.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you  receive an error similar to the following when you try to connect to the
    server or "The network path was not found. (0x80070035)" completepc

You may need to assign an IP address if DHCP is not configured on the network you are wanting to restore to.

a. Shift+F10 to open a command window.
       b. Ipconfig - to list interfaces and ip addresses - make a note of the network connection name "Local Area Connection" if you have more than one.
       c. netsh
            interface
             tcp
               ipv4
                  set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.1  255.255.255.0  192.168.1.1 1

Please review this blog and Video for complete details how to restore BMR.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/05/12/performing-a-bare-metal-restore-with-dpm-2010.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/bec0b1c6-d1fd-41f0-b4bc-df5791dfc68d

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Mike...

Excellent answer! It would appear though that a network adapter is NOT being loaded. When I press Shift + F10 and type "ipconfig", I getting the following returned:

"Windows IP Configuration"

then its just a command prompt again. No adapter information is displayed, which is usually what you would see if there wasn't a network adapter driver loaded. Is there a driver that I need to pre-load??

Thanks... Frank

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not familiar with VMware, but did you add a network adapter to the VM ? 

If the network adapter driver is included with Windows Server 2008 you can click "Search for a backup on the network". If the network adapter driver is not included you have to click "install a driver" and browse to your driver to load it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi Frank,

What we have done to get around this is:

Restore the BMR to a folder on the DPM server

Within this folder is a directory called WindowsImageBackup

Convert the whole folder and all files & folders within it to a ISO file using a suitable app

Mount the ISO image using the VClient and perform a restore from local media

Cheers

Steve

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:53 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Ignore my post above, though it would work. A better way is to add a E1000 nic to the VM (windows detects this). You need to have this as the first nic on the VM. I usually remove all NICs first, then add the E1000.

Once the restore is done, remove the E1000 and add VMXNET3 nics

Cheers

Steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:01 PM
  • This isn't too hard. WinPE has functions for injecting NIC drivers and this is what you need to do. The absolutely easiest way to do the injection is actually to download a copy of MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit), as it has a GUI that lets you inject drivers and do all sorts of customizations of the PE image. There are tons of tutorials on how to load the VMware NIC drivers to a WinPE image, and the wizards also allows you to generate a "General ISO" which is what you want to use in this case. You could also preload it so that it auto-maps the DPM network share if you want to. Let me know if you need the detailed steps - we are in the process of implementing DPM ourselfes so I could write up a short blog post about this if you want.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Hey ,

Add  "Network Legacy Adapter " in VM guest OS setting and perform the Bare Metal Recovery , hope it works for u .

Muzammil Ubaray

• Proposed as answer by muzammilubaray Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:46 PM
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:46 PM