none
How To Display DPM License Usage (Standard, Enterprise) RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2010. In the DPM 2010 Administrator Console under Management --> Agents, I can see Purchased vs. Usage for both Standard and Enterprise but I cannot see which machines use Standard and which ones use Enterprise. I am trying to find a way to report this.

• Edited by PBHCPA Friday, April 27, 2012 3:20 PM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 3:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Don,

Because the licences are never actually assigned to a particular server and are only added on a goodwill basis, then there is no command/script/report that you can target a referenced or linked object at. If you know what type of servers you are protecting such as Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V for example, then these would qualify for the Enterprise licence. If you are just protecting files and folders on some servers and not interacting with any applications, then these servers would qualify for the standard licence. Otherwise, the Enterprise licence covers both applications and files and folder backups.

Hope this clears things up!

Kevin.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

When you are adding licences to DPM 2010, it works on a trusted installer type model whereby the person installing DPM has to just select the amount of enterprise or standard licences that they have purchased. There is no licence verification that will check your inputted licence numbers against a licence key or other security function and as such it's up to you as the implementer to maintain and note the different licence types and to what computers they apply.

You can get full information on the different DPM 2010 licence models from the link below along with a description as to when to use an Enterprise licence or when to use a Standard licence:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jbuff/archive/2010/06/23/dpm-2010-licensing-info.aspx

Hope this helps,

Kevin.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:05 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the the response. I am aware of how the licensing works. I am just trying to find a way to report which hosts are using Standard and which ones are using Enterprise (i.e Powershell script, vbscript, reporting services). What I take away from your post is that you are unaware of a way to report this in 2010.

Have a great day,

Don

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi Don,

Because the licences are never actually assigned to a particular server and are only added on a goodwill basis, then there is no command/script/report that you can target a referenced or linked object at. If you know what type of servers you are protecting such as Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V for example, then these would qualify for the Enterprise licence. If you are just protecting files and folders on some servers and not interacting with any applications, then these servers would qualify for the standard licence. Otherwise, the Enterprise licence covers both applications and files and folder backups.

Hope this clears things up!

Kevin.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:39 PM