Managing Deferred channel updates in Office 2016 App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created Office 2016 App-V version. I was wondering how to manage the deferred updates in case of Office App-V. In my organisation only deferred channel updates are allowed. I created the App-V package with automatic update setting set as "FALSE" in configuration.xml. 

Is there a standard procedure to manage office updates for App-V version like the physical version of Office?

How do we apply these regular patches for Office App-V and make sure there are no vulnerabilities.

Thanks,

Roy

Friday, August 4, 2017 10:45 AM

All replies

• Creating Office 2016 Packages via App-V is no longer supported.

See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2842297/product-ids-that-are-supported-by-the-office-deployment-tool-for-click

Are you sure you using Office 2016 and not Office 365?

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Please remember to mark the post(s), which answered your question.

Friday, August 4, 2017 12:08 PM
  • As Simon says, only O365 is supported to be sequenced as App-V5 package. Every time you want to apply patches / or update. You simply create a new package with ODT (you could even automate the whole process). Because of the same packageguid, only delta changes will be applied to the clients. 

Roy Essers

Friday, August 4, 2017 7:37 PM
  • Yes I meant O365 retail edition.
    So do I have to build a whole new package every time I want to apply patches?

Then for all the add-ins and language packs I will have to rebuild all the connection groups as well?

What is the advantage of using O365 appv over MSI version then?

Thanks,

Roy

Sunday, August 6, 2017 4:00 PM
  • No you don't, just check "use any version", or slide in the new version of you o365 package (if you're using native infra to deliver appv apps).
    Your advantage with an appv app over an msi/exe/installer is flexibility, "install time",etc. An App-V app is unpublished / removed fast from your system. Also an upgrade is applied faster (no need to perform an install).

Roy Essers

Sunday, August 6, 2017 9:37 PM