none
Licencing

Question

• Hi,

When populating a Active Directory with users, one have to buy a standard CAL for each one. Articles speak about a CAL for each user using AD to authenticate.

What about this case : users are created in an Active Directory but never authenticate aginst it. AD is used as a backend for sync with a third party software. No authentication, no access to any other Microsoft service.

What should be licencing here ?

BR,

Emmanuel IT

Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:57 AM

All replies

• Hi

Check this article for licensing details;

When do I need a Client Access License (CAL)?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/volume-licensing/2014/03/10/licensing-how-to-when-do-i-need-a-client-access-license-cal/

Also you should contact ms licensing experts to get accurate information about licensing.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Ok thanks, i've already read this article, and what i understand is that licencing is very very blurred.

It may also depend on what kind of contract is subscribed with Microsft or it's official retailers.

Emmanuel IT

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:45 AM
  • Hi,

You will need to purchase one CAL per user (living human being) that will be accessing the server(s) on your network. You will also need to consider which operating systems you already employ in your environment. You need CALs specific to the operating system(s) running on your server(s) as well; meaning, if you have Server 2008 R2, your User CALs will need to be for that version, so make sure you haven't mixed and matched and messed things up.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:57 AM