SCOM 2012 Dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a task at hand and would like some more advice :) from all experts 

I have created distributed applications that have components as services , Websites , databases etc , i see the health is rolling up fine as of now.

One of the teams wants to put the distributed applications specific to them in a view so that they can get it displayed on a 55 inch Monitor :)

I though it would be easy , but it is not 

the distributed applications are created , I can see them in SCOm 2012 console , Web Console on the share point site.

But when i open the console on the 55 Inch TV the states (the Font size for the Healthy / critical icon and the Name is too small for them to notice)

Should i have an option to create it such a way that it can be displayed on the TV effectively

Should i create a Dashboard or a View as only specific Distributed Applications needs to be seen

can we modify the size of the the font (display Name / health) so that it is visible on a Big giant TV 

What is the best way , is it to Open the webconsole on the TV , Open sharepoint site or install SCOM console and open that particular view (Dashboard) 

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kitaab,

IMHO you you should consider one of these alternate methods for your executive dashboard:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/klince/archive/2012/05/05/fun-with-scom-2012-dashboards-sharepoint-amp-visio-included.aspx

Especially easy with the Visio method, you can export the distributed application (DA) diagram view into Visio, then arrange the icons and fonts as desired. Use SCOM/Visio integration to link shapes with SCOM database objects.

For the VIP dashboard, run the Visio live linked document in "full screen" view, it's great. 

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

• Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, December 24, 2012 9:03 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:12 PM
  • Thanks John, i considered doing that , but stumbled on a fact that will i need a TV for each distributed application .. or can all my distributed be on the single pane of Visio diagram.

I can afford to tell them they need 10 screens for 10 applications.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Kitaab -

That is no problem! Since you can fully edit the Visio that will be the dashboard, you can cut and paste the DA objects from each exported DA into one 'master Visio'. Just arrange all the icons in the Visio so you can see each DA's arragenment of icons.

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:51 PM
  • unfortunately it requires MS Sharepoint 2010 enterprise ? is that true.

Is there any way around i have sharepoint 2010 foundation though

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Kitaab -

I don't know about the Sharepoint version information, someone else may may experience there.

I do know for the Visio-based solution does not need to involve SharePoint.

A Visio document instance that is linked at the database layer to the SCOM object health--as is the case when using the SCOM-Visio integration feature--is a 'stand-alone' living Visio document. You open the Visio document on a computer with the database connection available and no SharePoint is needed.

John Joyner MVP-SC-CDM

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:28 PM
  • Thanks i believe i would try to use it without share point integration then and push the Visio document to screen on TV.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2012 9:03 AM