win8pro system image recovery won't see backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent most of the past 12 hours trying to restore my win8pro system from a system image.  the image was saved to a usb hard drive.  win8pro system image recovery won't see the usb hard drive.  I tried copying the backup to a drive on my network, but recovery won't see that either, even when entering the exact path to the backup using the network option.  I then tried to copy the backup to a second hard drive, installing that hard drive directly into the machine.  no go, wouldn't even recognize the drive.

I'm at my wits end.  any ideas?

...joe

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:42 AM

Answers

• Create recovery media on a usb flash drive, then boot from that and see if finds the image on the other drive.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 8, 2013 3:43 AM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:15 AM
  • can you tell me exactly where to find the option for restoring the system image within the OS?  I've been trying to locate that.

In Search, settings, type Windows 7 File. It should point you to it in the results. It is also advised to create the bootable usb flash recovery media to use for an image restore.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 8, 2013 3:44 AM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:19 AM

All replies

• Maybe try to reinstall Windows 8 then launch the image restore within the newly installed system?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:15 AM
  • win8pro system image recovery won't see the usb hard drive.

Use  diskpart  list volume  for clues?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:14 PM
  • can you tell me exactly where to find the option for restoring the system image within the OS?  I've been trying to locate that.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Create recovery media on a usb flash drive, then boot from that and see if finds the image on the other drive.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 8, 2013 3:43 AM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:15 AM

In Search, settings, type Windows 7 File. It should point you to it in the results. It is also advised to create the bootable usb flash recovery media to use for an image restore.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 8, 2013 3:44 AM
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 11:19 AM