Cannot identify line manager of RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Every so often when a Review Activity with "Line Manager Should Review" is checked off, SCSM is unable to find the user that is the manager of the Created By User.

The history of the Review Activity says "Cannot identify line manager of <Created By User>". It then proceeds to add a blank user.

I checked the user CI and there is a manager listed in the Organization tab.

I've seen one or two options to fix this problem after the fact, but nothing to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!   

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

I've seen this exact behaviour when a user has 2 (or more) managers set within Service Manager. The console will only ever show 1 but if you query with Powershell or in the DB, I expect you will see this user has more than 1 relationship of class System.UserManagesUser where it is the target.

Deleting one of this relationships will resolve the issue.

As for how this happened, I'm not sure but the mostly likely cause seems to be multiple AD connectors targetting the same user. It could be that an AD Connector was removed and recreated or something like that.

Hopefully, finding all users with more than 1 manager and removing one in each case will sort it for good (assuming the AD Connectors are now stable).

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Ross Friday, February 15, 2019 2:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gary Winhoven Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:42 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:08 AM
  • Thanks Geoff! That was exactly the issue.

For anyone wondering, here is the script I used to check for a user's manager relationship(s). If there's more than one, it will display all of the existing relationships.

Import-Module SMLets

$User = Get-SCSMObject -Class (Get-SCSMClass -Name System.Domain.User) -filter "Username -eq '<username>'"
    $UserManagesUser = Get-SCSMRelationshipClass -Name UserManagesUser
    $Manager = (Get-SCSMRelationshipObject -ByTarget $User | ?{$_.RelationshipId -eq $UserManagesUser.Id}).SourceObject
    $Manager

And there's a script from the TechNet gallery that will clear out old manager relationships that are causing the issue: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/SCSM-Remove-Old-Manager-6c8629dc

I'm running it on 1801 and it worked like a charm.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

I've seen this exact behaviour when a user has 2 (or more) managers set within Service Manager. The console will only ever show 1 but if you query with Powershell or in the DB, I expect you will see this user has more than 1 relationship of class System.UserManagesUser where it is the target.

Deleting one of this relationships will resolve the issue.

As for how this happened, I'm not sure but the mostly likely cause seems to be multiple AD connectors targetting the same user. It could be that an AD Connector was removed and recreated or something like that.

Hopefully, finding all users with more than 1 manager and removing one in each case will sort it for good (assuming the AD Connectors are now stable).

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Ross Friday, February 15, 2019 2:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gary Winhoven Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:42 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:08 AM
  • Thanks Geoff! That was exactly the issue.

For anyone wondering, here is the script I used to check for a user's manager relationship(s). If there's more than one, it will display all of the existing relationships.

Import-Module SMLets

$User = Get-SCSMObject -Class (Get-SCSMClass -Name System.Domain.User) -filter "Username -eq '<username>'"
    $UserManagesUser = Get-SCSMRelationshipClass -Name UserManagesUser
    $Manager = (Get-SCSMRelationshipObject -ByTarget $User | ?{$_.RelationshipId -eq $UserManagesUser.Id}).SourceObject
    $Manager

And there's a script from the TechNet gallery that will clear out old manager relationships that are causing the issue: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/SCSM-Remove-Old-Manager-6c8629dc

I'm running it on 1801 and it worked like a charm.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:46 PM