none
MDT Windows 7 Updates- WSUSOffline is slow, WSUServer faster??? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently I am running Server 2012 and MDT to deploy OEM images to various models, complete with Recovery images and some 62 Windows 7 updates included. I used WSUSOffline to acquire the updates and add them into my task sequence using MDT and the appropriate package and unattend.xml settings. Everything works essentially, but SLOW. it takes 20-28 minutes to apply the Unattend file after initial format and install.

My question is: Would it be faster to set up WSUS as a Role and distribute them that way? Or would the speed be the same? I will be using this server offline after the initial update scrounging, so the prospect of keeping up images with updates is moot.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 4:39 PM

All replies

• It would be about the same.

If you are looking to cut the time the best way IMHO is to do a build and capture on a Hyper-V VM (or something similar).  The advantages include you do the 28minutes of extra work 1 time instead of each time you install.

1. Create base image with the updates you always want installed: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2014/08/04/mdt-2013-part-i-mdt-configuration-capture-a-windows-server-2012-r2-base-os-image.aspx
    2. Import the updated wim.
    3. Don't try to inject the updates when you are installing the new updated base wim (that will take quite a bit of time as each update is checked to see if it is applicable so zero updates adds zero extra time).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:18 PM