Authentication fails when opening Office documents from SharePoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• We require client certificates stored on a smart card for authentication in MOSS 2007. When one opens an Office doc on SharePoint, the Office app has the user network logon available and provides it when challenged by the SharePoint site via integrated Windows authentication (the Office app is considered a separate session from the browser as noted above).  We are then challenged by our smart card middleware to choose a client certificate. Recently documents won't open UNLESS a office program is already opened on a clients computer.

For example I'll try to open a word document from SharePoint, if Word is NOT already opened the download will ask for the smartcard pin and then either timeout or give the error below.

If a session of Word, excel, etc. is open after another smartcard pin prompt the document USUALLY opens.

We are running IE 7 and Windows 7 and XP. I CANNOT change any IE security settings since I support thousands of users.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:23 PM