1. Deleting 'Select a file to Preview' and 'no preview available' text. 2. Always appearing any folder's preview Icon to Preview Pane. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Modifications to Preview Pane of windows 7.  http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/Modifications-to-Preview-Pane-194638236

preview image of the curent experiment  http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/023/5/a/modifications_to_preview_pane_by_zeusosx-d37vrto.jpg

1. Deleting 'Select a file to Preview' and 'no preview available'  text.

2. Always appearing any folder's preview Icon to Preview Pane.

Modifications made by Pavlos Pitselas = ZEUSosX (Greece)

i believe the Preview pane after the first modification is more 'clear' as those texts named  'Select a file to Preview' and 'no preview available'  are not , in my opinion offering something usefull.

also with the second modification we can have a preview not only to photos or texts in Preview Pane , but also to any folder or group of folders we use.

============================================

1. Deleting 'Select a file to Preview' and 'no preview available'  text.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before anything : go to  Control pane [view by category] -->so Go to   Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts  and press the folder 'Change User Account Control Settings'  set the slider to the next window Never Notify.  restart. 

1. We'll have to edit "%windir%\System32\Shell32.dll" file. So first take ownership of this file using following tutorial:

Add Take Ownership Option in File / Folder Context Menu in Windows 7 [ example of taking ownership to a random system file
    http://www.screencast.com/users/zeusosx/folders/Jing/media/df4f90d3-8490-4357-9626-26f4c79d1c01 ]

Copy your Shell32.dll to your desktop.

2. Now open the file in Resource Hacker.

3. Goto "View -> Find Text" (or press Ctrl + F). It'll open Find box.

4. Now type following String in textbox:

<PreviewThumbnail ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="true" layoutpos="client" background="ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0)"/>

5. Click on "Find Next" button and it'll show the line containing this text. It should be in UIFILE section.
    it will appear to this locations of UIFILE   3, 4, 5, 6, 20, 21

6.  Replace it to each position with those replace it with  those 2 code lines :

<PreviewThumbnail AlwaysGetIconFromView="true" ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="false" layoutpos="client" background="ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0)"/>
    <Element id="atom(RPaneCoverSheet_NoSel)" layout="verticalflowlayout(0, 2, 2, 0)"/>

7. Every time you replace  click on "Compile Script" button.
    press "F3" key and it'll show the next line containing the same text.

8. Go again to "View -> Find Text" (or press Ctrl + F). It'll open Find box.
    Now type following String in textbox:

<PreviewThumbnail ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="true" layoutpos="client"/>

it will appear to this locations of UIFILE  19 , 27

9.  Replace it to each position with those replace it with  those 2 code lines :

<PreviewThumbnail AlwaysGetIconFromView="true" ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="false" layoutpos="client"/>
    <Element id="atom(RPaneCoverSheet_NoSel)" layout="verticalflowlayout(0, 2, 2, 0)"/>

10. Every time you replace  click on "Compile Script" button.

11. Save your file. Now save the file.

12. Rename original "Shell32.dll" file present in "System32" folder to "shell32_backup.dll".

13. Now copy your new modified "shell32.dll" file to "System32" folder.

14. Restart your system and after restart Windows will start using your new modified file. thats it.

==============================================

2. Always appearing any folder's preview Icon to Preview Pane.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, after the first modification , if we want to have the appearance of the ico of a folder or the appearance of the icons of a group of selected lfolders , we have to modify more the shell32.dll as:

1. Copy your Shell32.dll to your desktop.

2. Now open the file in Resource Hacker.

3. Goto "View -> Find Text" (or press Ctrl + F). It'll open Find box.

4. Now type following String in textbox:

<TemplateBackground id="atom(ReadingPane)" layout="filllayout()" layoutpos="right">

5. Click on "Find Next" button and it'll show the line containing this text. It should be in UIFILE section.
    it will appear to this locations of UIFILE   3, 4, 5, 6, 19, 20, 21, 27

6.  Replace it to each position with those replace it with :

<TemplateBackground id="atom(ReadingPane)" layout="filllayout()" layoutpos="right" background="ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0)">

7. Every time you replace  click on "Compile Script" button.

8. Every time you replace  click on "Compile Script" button.
    Save your file. Now save the file.

9. Rename original "Shell32.dll" file present in "System32" folder to "shell32_backup1.dll".

10. Now copy your new modified "shell32.dll" file to "System32" folder.

11. Restart your system and after restart Windows will start using your new modified file. thats it.

==============================================

After all  go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts  and press the folder 'Change User Account Control Settings'  set the slider to the next window to Default or to whatever u like,  then restart.

==========================================
    Small possible bugs:
    [BUT THOSE TO DETAILS PANE NOT TO PREVIEW PANE!!!!!]: After doing those modifications, when we strech the details pane to  bigger size, sometimes its icons don't resize to bigger size.

solution: if we close Preview Pane [via Alt+p] this solved. if we open again Preview Pane [via Alt+p] no problem.

conclusion: somehow the code in preview pane seems to affect somehow to Details pane, unless if that has something with the memory resourses of the preview image that windows use or to a  DisablingPolicy / ExplorerVisibility reason.

but this kind of bug does not make any problem of functionality.

==========================================

I have included an already modified 32 bit sp1 microsoft shell32.dll to this  pack for any user uses 32bit version of  Windows 7.

You can download it from  http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/Modifications-to-Preview-Pane-194638236

I am not liable for any sort of damage to your computer from using this .
    I have tested and use to my pc which works properly.
    All features referenced in my work are subject to change.

=====================================

latest news to similar modifications:

I have also made some experiments for setting also the preview pane from right position to top, it works somehow but with a lot of problems and bugs as such modification needed alot of parts of code to be changed, i reffer this as many users in many forums want this, but this is a difficult kind of modification[i have included also the folderband  inside the preview pane to those not realeased experiments so via Alt +P we open or/close the preview pane and folderband both.

----------

Sunday, January 23, 2011 9:59 PM

All replies

• I have updated the code. (27   1  2011)

Not needed  to have both details pane and preview pane , now we can open only the preview pane opened and we can have the preview of any folder or group of folders, so what i have done is added this parameter    AlwaysGetIconFromView="true"    to the first modification .so i have updated the code as:

we search to original microsoft shell32.dll  to  UIFILE   3, 4, 5, 6, 20, 21 for:

<PreviewThumbnail ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="true" layoutpos="client" background="ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0)"/>

and we replace with  2 code lines as :

<PreviewThumbnail AlwaysGetIconFromView="true" ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="false" layoutpos="client" background="ARGB(0, 0, 0, 0)"/>

---------
    then we search  to  UIFILE  19 , 27 for:

<PreviewThumbnail ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="true" layoutpos="client"/>

and we replace with  2 code lines as :

<PreviewThumbnail AlwaysGetIconFromView="true" ModuleID="ReadingPaneThumbnailModule" HideProperty="PreviewHandlerRunning" Vertical="false" layoutpos="client"/>

--------------
     i have already re-edited the code to my previous comment so you can use it.

[also to deviant art page  i have updated the 32 bit sp1 microsoft shell32.dll to that  pack for any user uses 32bit version of  Windows 7. ]http://zeusosx.deviantart.com/art/Modifications-to-Preview-Pane-194638236

============

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Don't provided patched files, use Anolis (XPize,VIze core) to patch the DLLs after they are updated.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:16 PM