reverting to XP from vista RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista on my friend s XP laptop with permission and when they got it back it was very slow and often crashed. I want to know if you can revert back to xp by doing a clean installation and formatting the hard drive? Can you help me please?

Saturday, December 8, 2007 9:00 PM

Answers

•   Hi Patrick

Sure you can. But Vista writes its own MBR which XP can not recognize and XP installation can not dedect harddisk. First you have to boot from XP CD, enter repair console and run

fixboot /mbr  or fixmbr

Then restart the computer and install XP

Regards

Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:48 AM
  • MBR means "Master Boot Record" which is located in the first sector of HDD (Sector 0) and keeps critical information like partition tables. Vista's MBR can not be recognized by XP (Also its bootloader). Thats why Vista is installed last if you want do dualboot computer. Vista can recognize XP during installation. In your issue, Vista's MBR should be deleted/reverted. This can be done either with the way above or with 3rd party partition managers.

Regards

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:00 PM

All replies

•   Hi Patrick

Sure you can. But Vista writes its own MBR which XP can not recognize and XP installation can not dedect harddisk. First you have to boot from XP CD, enter repair console and run

fixboot /mbr  or fixmbr

Then restart the computer and install XP

Regards

Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot, I will try, but what is an "MBR"?

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:15 AM
  • MBR means "Master Boot Record" which is located in the first sector of HDD (Sector 0) and keeps critical information like partition tables. Vista's MBR can not be recognized by XP (Also its bootloader). Thats why Vista is installed last if you want do dualboot computer. Vista can recognize XP during installation. In your issue, Vista's MBR should be deleted/reverted. This can be done either with the way above or with 3rd party partition managers.

Regards

Monday, December 10, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Thanks a lot!!!!!

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:33 PM
  • Thank you for the great information.  For clarification, will this downgrade work with all Vista OSs including Vista Home?

Regards,

Jerry

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:35 PM
  • Yes Jerry

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:34 PM
  • Hi, I wonder if you can help me too. I have a similar problem as Patrick, but, in my case, I have an ASUS laptop with na e-SATA HDD, which means that when I start using the XP disc, it says that no HDD was found.

I would be greatly thankful if you could manage to help me out.

Best regards.

Manuel Fernandes (PT)

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:49 PM
  • Hi Manuel

Sorry for late response.

In your case, you either have to slipstream your SATA Controller drivers to installation CD and start installation, or set SATA mode to Normal instead AHCI

Regards

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:50 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply, it helped me. I used nLite to add the SATA drivers to the instalation CD and it worked.

thanks again.

Manuel Fernandes

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 11:10 AM
  • I'm trying this but when I press the "R" letter to access the repair console, I get the "no hard drive" message.

Is it possible that I can't revert back to XP on a Lenovo Z61m? And, if I need third party software to fix the mbr, what would be a likely choice?

Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:10 PM
  • Since that laptop uses a SATA hard drive, you'll need to build a new Windows CD that has drivers for your SATA controller.  nLite works quite well for this task.
    Your drivers can be found here.  Specifically, you'll need the ThinkPad SD storage and standard host controller bus driver.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:57 PM