where is that great tool the eraser in MS word 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• What has happened to the eraser. In 2007 I use to be able to click on the eraser icon to simply erase lines from a table in word. NOW I spend hours to do what was once a simple thing. How can I erase a line/lines from atable in word 2013.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• Add it to the QAT.  Select "All commands" the scroll down to Eraser.

IT is also still on the ribbon in the Table Tools conditional tab > Design tab > Draw group > Eraser command.<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

• Edited by Rohn007MVP Monday, June 10, 2013 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, June 17, 2013 3:26 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:00 AM

All replies

IT is also still on the ribbon in the Table Tools conditional tab > Design tab > Draw group > Eraser command.<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

• Edited by Rohn007MVP Monday, June 10, 2013 11:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Monday, June 17, 2013 3:26 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:00 AM
  • thankyou - I just have to work out the abbreviations. I didn't intend to ask this question on IT I was on the wrong forum. What is the QAT???? Sorry 
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:23 AM
  • OH great just read the remainder of your answer regarding the ribbon. It is clearer to me now. Thankyou
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:25 AM
  • The QAT is the "Quick Access Toolbar", the little customization area where you can "easily" add items to the ribbon<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>
    Monday, June 10, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Great advice, except the tool doesn't work. Any other suggestions??
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:30 PM
  • I added eraser to QAT, but the eraser does not work.

And, I have no Draw Group under the Design or Layout tabs.

2007 was much easier to use and i am missing the lost features such as the eraser.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:44 PM
  • The eraser is under Layout. By default when you click on a table, it shows you options in 'Design' just click on the next tab 'Layout' and you will see the eraser.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:05 PM
  • I don't see an eraser under 'Layout'
    Monday, June 9, 2014 4:19 AM
  • I am havinf the same f...ing problem. IT IS IRRITATING....

I was able to add the eraser  tool on the ribbon, however, it doesn't work, it is there but won~t let you select it....

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:01 PM
  • Solved it! Go to the "Quick Access Toolbar" which you can find through your Options when you go to save something. Then click on the "all commands" until you scroll down to the "Table Eraser"- not the same thing as an Eraser or Ink Eraser. Then it add it to your Quick Access Toolbar and then you can use the eraser.

Friday, November 7, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Thanks a lot. This is the most perfect answer and now the tool is working properly.
    Saturday, March 7, 2015 7:33 PM

IT is also still on the ribbon in the Table Tools conditional tab > Design tab > Draw group > Eraser command.

In Word 2013/2016/365 both the Draw Table and Eraser were moved from the Table Design Tab to the Table Layout Tab.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:20 PM
  • I don't see an eraser under 'Layout'

[Table Tools] Layout in Word 2013/2016/365 only.

[Table Tools] Design in Word 2007/2010 only.

Not the Page Layout Tab in any version.

Table Layout Tab

Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Great advice, except the tool doesn't work. Any other suggestions??

The tool works but you have to be in a table.

Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:25 PM
  • I added eraser to QAT, but the eraser does not work.

And, I have no Draw Group under the Design or Layout tabs.

2007 was much easier to use and i am missing the lost features such as the eraser.

The eraser works fine. You have to be in a table. The Draw Group is on the left side of the Layout Tab in Word 2013/365.

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Saturday, March 14, 2015 12:57 AM
    Sunday, March 8, 2015 9:26 PM
  • You have to be in a table first. Than go to >LAYOUT and you will see the Eraser on the left, right next to Draw Table.
    Friday, March 13, 2015 11:17 AM
  • Thanks. This was really helpful.
    Friday, July 24, 2015 6:54 AM
  • You are welcome.

Friday, July 24, 2015 8:24 PM
  • This worked for me!   Thank You!!!
    Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:27 AM
  • I share your frustration.....I just don't get it why MS plays us fool. Why couldn't they leave those things alone?!
    Friday, August 19, 2016 12:39 AM
  • This one helped me the most!  I now have my beloved eraser on my table toolbar.  Thank you so much!

Why doesn't it just come as a default, so you don't have to hunt it down???

Monday, January 16, 2017 1:28 AM
  • This one helped me the most!  I now have my beloved eraser on my table toolbar.  Thank you so much!

Why doesn't it just come as a default, so you don't have to hunt it down???

Not sure which one your are referring to.

It does come as a default, but you have to be in a table and it is on the context ribbon tabs for tables.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:25 PM
  • I have read this thread very carefully.  I use Word 2016 and am in a table.  The layout tab appears but does not show either the draw or the eraser tool.  But if I use the "tell me what you want to do" option I can activate the eraser tool with no problem.

Why so these tools not show up?  How can I persuade Word to show them (I do not want to add them to my QAT which is already too full of other useful tools!)?

Saturday, February 17, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Lisa:

If you don't want to add them to the QAT your only other option is to add them to an existing TAB in the Ribbon, maybe the Home tab, or where ever it makes most sense for you.

Short form to do this is:

• File menu > Options command > Customize Ribbon option
    • In the "Tabs" column click to expand the tab you want to add it to
    • at bottom of that area, click on "New Group"
    • Name the group appropriately
    • click to select the new group
    • select "All commands" from the "choose commands from" drop down
    • find the command(s) you want to add
    • click on the "add button
    • repeat as required

You can only add commands to NEW "custom" groups or tabs <sigh>

If you try to recreate an existing group, it won't look the same as the default .... <sigh>

You can change the order of tabs, default groups and custom groups by using the up/down arrows on the right side of the the tabs scroll box.

Note: after you make the customization, and are happy with it, you should use the export feature to save a backup copy of the new ribbon. That way if you have to re-install Office you can restore your custom ribbon.

Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:23 PM
  • I have read this thread very carefully.  I use Word 2016 and am in a table.  The layout tab appears but does not show either the draw or the eraser tool.  But if I use the "tell me what you want to do" option I can activate the eraser tool with no problem.

Why so these tools not show up?  How can I persuade Word to show them (I do not want to add them to my QAT which is already too full of other useful tools!)?

Are you on a Mac?

These tools are on the left side of the [Table Tools] Layout tab in Word 2016 on Windows.

If you are on a small window, the ribbon condenses. Here is mine in a smaller window.

The two buttons are under the Draw icon.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:20 PM
  • Rohn, they are there on every Ribbon version of Word I have. Given the way Microsoft messes with the interface and the clusterf*** that is Word 2016 I won't say they are there in every version that Microsoft has foisted on the marketplace.

I have Word 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 installed and the buttons are present in all of them.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:27 PM
  • What has happened to the eraser. In 2007 I use to be able to click on the eraser icon to simply erase lines from a table in word. NOW I spend hours to do what was once a simple thing. How can I erase a line/lines from atable in word 2013.

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:08 PM
  • Which version of Word are you running? As stated previously in this thread, the Eraser should work the way it always has. However, if it doesn't, you could just use the Merge Cells command which will do the same thing.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, April 2, 2018 8:17 PM
  • Its working. Thank you.
    Sunday, September 16, 2018 3:28 PM