none
DPM 2016 with DtoDtoT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need some advice to see if this backup plan would work.

• I plan on using a Direct Attached disk storage to store the Replica copy and then have a VTL for the actual backup storage.
    • My dataset are mainly Exchange, SQL database and application data hosted on VMs.

My protection group as follows:

- Short term on DISK would be daily for a retention for 1 day.

- Long term on TAPE would be daily for 1 month.

- Long term on TAPE weekly for 4 weeks

- Long term on TAPE monthly for 12 months.

Can anyone advise if this protection plan would work and also would my DAILY on TAPE be incrementals or have option to be incrementals?

Weekly and Monthly i expect will be full.

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Monday, August 6, 2018 1:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I've done some testing, and apparently incremental backups are not working with long-term backups to tape if you are using disk backup for short-term backups.

But there is an option for SQL database incremental backup to tape if you select tape backup for short-term and long-term backup.

This way you will be able to configure daily incremental backup to tape for short-term backups. 

PS. Keep in mind that SQL Database should be set to FULL Recovery Model for incremental backups. 

Hope this helps.

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

• Marked as answer by PeterCCS Friday, August 10, 2018 8:59 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2018 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

This will work. Because your are going to use short-term disk-based protection, DPM will back up data from the replica volume to tape, this means there will be no impact on the protected computer/server. DPM will use full and incremental backups on tape. 

Hope this helps.

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, August 6, 2018 5:25 AM
  • Most importantly will the DAILY SQL and Exchange data on TAPE be incremental backups?

Using the above protection plan, my aim is to have on the VTL:

(Replica - DISK short term)

Disk Long term:

Daily - Incrementals on TAPE

Weekly - Full on TAPE

Monthly - Full on TAPE

(SQL and exchange dataset) Many Thanks,

Regards Peter

• Edited by PeterCCS Monday, August 6, 2018 6:08 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Yes, it will use incremental with long-term backups to tape.

Monday, August 6, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Just to clarify, Exchange data and SQL database can be backed up on to Tape in incremental?

I heard that only system files can be incremental and other are Full on TAPE?

is this true?

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Monday, August 6, 2018 8:40 AM
  • That should apply only to short-term backups to tape. 

DPM doesn't support short-term backup (incremental backup) to tape for workload data (Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, Hyper-V). Only file data (volumes, shares, folders) can be backed up incrementally.

Monday, August 6, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hiya,

Are you saying Exchange and SQL data can be Incremental backups for long-term to Tape?

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late respond. As stated in the documentation incremental backups should be supported for long-term to tape. Just to be sure I'm testing SQL database backup to tape. I will share my results in a day or two. 

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi,

I've done some testing, and apparently incremental backups are not working with long-term backups to tape if you are using disk backup for short-term backups.

But there is an option for SQL database incremental backup to tape if you select tape backup for short-term and long-term backup.

This way you will be able to configure daily incremental backup to tape for short-term backups. 

PS. Keep in mind that SQL Database should be set to FULL Recovery Model for incremental backups. 

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by PeterCCS Friday, August 10, 2018 8:59 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2018 7:43 AM
  • Thank you so much Matej!

That answers the SQL database issue.

The other critical issue is Exchange Mailbox data which for my project has the the huge dataset of 400+TB.

I hope that can be backed up daily in incrementals on tape just like SQL.

Would you by any chance have an Exchange server that you could test just like the SQL?

I take it that the long term can have retention for 12 months?

You would really help me so much if you can.

many thanks.

Regards Peter

Friday, August 10, 2018 9:08 AM
  • I would say that this also apply for Exchange database, but I will do my best to test it. Will let you know the results. 

Friday, August 10, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Matej,

What is so confusing and concerning is that everywhere I've looked people are saying SQL and Exchange can only be full on tape and only file data can be incremental. Now you have proved that wrong..?

See here they are saying that:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/202b029a-a6fc-49c7-9a2a-3a403ee6e373/dpm2010-best-practice-for-backing-up-direct-to-tape

What would be good to know is that because short and long to tape allows incrementals daily and full weekly, but if you had disk storage as well would it make a replica and use backup from that or from the source data?

Look forward to your results on the Exchange backup.

Regards Peter

• Edited by PeterCCS Monday, August 13, 2018 1:27 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 1:22 AM
  • Are you using Exchange DAG? Asking because it's not possible to backup short-term and long-term to tape if you have DAG deployment. 

Monday, August 13, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Yes we are using Exchange DAG. So what options do i have for backing this on TAPE?

We have a D2D2T backup configuration.

Thanks.

Regards Peter

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Unfortunately it's not possible to backup incremental to tape if you are using Exchange DAG. I've tested. 

The only option is to use incremental backups for Exchange DAG is to use disk based shot-term backup (full+incremental) and tape for long-term backup (full only).

The other option is to use cloud backup for long-term which supports incremental backups. 

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:11 AM