Search Application Pool is Stopped RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In my environment i have configured search in 2 application servers.I did this through powershell scripts. After configuring this application pool for search is in stopped mode. If i start also it is going to stopped mode.

Any solutions for this ?

Also in central admin i can able to see the search topology, however search administration page is displaying 503 error.

PFB Event Viewer Log:

A failure was reported when trying to invoke a service application: EndpointFailure
    Process Name: OWSTIMER
    Process ID: 12804
    AppDomain Name: DefaultDomain
    AppDomain ID: 1
    Service Application Uri: urn:schemas-microsoft-com:sharepoint:service:4dae436d96284c8b86d06dc2bd54abae#authority=urn:uuid:178ca2e130744e89b23b5b535f8e0041&authority=https://Centraladmin:32844/Topology/topology.svc
    Active Endpoints: 1
    Failed Endpoints:1
    Affected Endpoint: http://Server1:32843/4dae436d96284c8b86d06dc2bd54abae/SearchService.svc

Do the needful.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sankar

Monday, November 23, 2015 3:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Sankar

That error should be coming up as the application pool for the search service application pool is not running. Can you check if the service account with which the search service application pool is configured, is not locked or expired? Or if you can check Windows OS event logs, it should give an idea, if there are any issues with the service account used.

Thanks Mohit

Monday, November 23, 2015 4:20 PM
  • Hi Mohit,

Thanks for your reply.

I hope account is not locked. Also PFB logs. Can you explain more about this issue ?

Application pool 02162558d2664c28a2108c17fb5f3a10 has been disabled. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) encountered a failure when it started a worker process to serve the application pool.

Application pool 02162558d2664c28a2108c17fb5f3a10 has been disabled. Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) did not create a worker process to serve the application pool because the application pool identity is invalid.

The identity of application pool 02162558d2664c28a2108c17fb5f3a10 is invalid. The user name or password that is specified for the identity may be incorrect, or the user may not have batch logon rights. If the identity is not corrected, the application pool will be disabled when the application pool receives its first request.  If batch logon rights are causing the problem, the identity in the IIS configuration store must be changed after rights have been granted before Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) can retry the logon. If the identity remains invalid after the first request for the application pool is processed, the application pool will be disabled. The data field contains the error number.

A runtime exception was detected. Details follow. 
    Message: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.

Technical Details:
    System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (503) Server Unavailable.
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi.RunOnServer[T](CodeToRun`1 remoteCode, CodeToRun`1 localCode, Boolean useCurrentSecurityContext, Int32 versionIn)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchApi..ctor(SearchServiceApplication application)
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.get_SearchApi()
       at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceInstance.Synchronize()

Thanks & Regards,
    Sankar
    Monday, November 23, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Hi Sankar,

Mohit is right. From the error message in your second post, it indicates that the application pool identity is invalid.

This may be due to that the password expiration of the search service application pool identity or the identity does not have batch log on rights.

I recommend to reset the password for the application pool identity and assign the batch log on rights to the identity.

https://captainofsharepoint.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/sharepoint-app-pool-identity-problem/

Best regards,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:34 AM
  • Hi Sankar

Can you let us know if your issue is resolved or still looking for further directions.

Thanks Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Thursday, December 3, 2015 11:02 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2015 10:55 AM
  • Hi Mohit,

The issue with the service account. I have requested the AD team to create the account as normal account.

Thanks & Regards,
    Sankar

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, December 8, 2015 5:29 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2015 7:23 PM